Nullo's avatar

Are there any anthropologists out there who, like Thor Heyerdahl, make fieldwork awesome?

Asked by Nullo (21856 points ) October 19th, 2010

I was thinking about my last read-through of Kon-Tiki, and Heyerdahl’s passion for doing unlikely things with ancient boat designs, and got to wondering: Was he the last of the adventurous anthropologists?

pallen123's avatar

Great question! Love Kontiki! Check out Napoleon Chagnon. He passionately writes about his work with the Yanomamo

Blondesjon's avatar

Not anymore. Thor Heyerdahl had more balls than a thousand Indiana Joneses.

incendiary_dan's avatar

There’s a small handful of “experimental archaeologists” out there. If I go back for my Masters and PhD, I’ll probably do something of the sort.

anartist's avatar

Colin Turnbull. His study of the Ik people, as recounted in The Mountain People is a portrait of a society that has destroyed itself and the results are shocking.

There is a film called Keep the River on Your Right that is a documentary about a gay, Jewish anthropologist who lived with tribes in the Amazon and practiced cannibalism.