hedgepig's avatar

Can you use two (or more) NIC cards and use multiple internet connections?

Asked by hedgepig (21 points ) March 14th, 2011

I have a few choices for my internets (phones, ISP, random neighbor’s wifi). If I want to use multiple NIC cards, will Windows allow me? And if their is a problem with the ports or the browsers, can I use VM-ware to solve it? Is there any possible scenario that this would work?

blueiiznh's avatar

Yes, you can and most business enterprises will have several NIC’s in one server. (Load balancer, Teamed Nic’s, heartbeat, EBR, ILO, etc.).

VM and Hyper-V play a different role, but explain what you are trying to solve….
.What is it you want to do?

the100thmonkey's avatar

Yeah – get two connections and interleave them. Mmmmm…. double bandwidth….

koanhead's avatar

I think what you want is called multihoming. It’s not usually used to increase bandwidth on a particular socket or to interleave sockets but rather to increase the reliability of access. As far as I know you could use it to increase performance though, with some tweaking.