ANef_is_Enuf's avatar

Do you know any women like what is described in this article? Do you think it is accurate, or just bitterness?

Asked by ANef_is_Enuf (23298 points ) June 29th, 2011

I came across this article this morning, and it blew me away. It’s pretty blunt, but I feel like it puts into words something that I’ve thought for a long time. I feel like I really do know women like this.

Am I jaded?
Do you know a woman or women like this?
Just curious to hear thoughts and opinions on the article, in general.

Cruiser's avatar

Thankfully no…and frankly I would not even want to know the writer of the article as she seems like she could be one herself. Can’t get much more condescending than that!

ANef_is_Enuf's avatar

@Cruiser yeah, I was a little stunned by the way the article was written. I think that may be why I questioned whether or not it was bitterness, or just true. I have thought these things myself many times in the past… but the way the article is written comes off as angry. And personal.

Cruiser's avatar

@ANef_is_Enuf I am almost positive it was just copy content to draw attention to her practice. Can’t imagine getting advice from her though.

I have known women who are close to that, but I wouldn’t consider it a pathology. One woman in particular so identified as the mother of her child that she told her boyfriend that if they married, she could not have a second child because she needed her energy to focus on her son, and a second child would be a distraction.

josie's avatar

My ex-wife. Almost a paragraph by paragraph match. I had to read the link twice just because I had never had my ex wife described so perfectly.
Now , when people ask why I got divorced I can give them the link.
In fact, I had a therapist tell me almost verbatim one of those quotes. He said, you have three children. Two are your sons. One is your wife.

bunnygrl's avatar

@zenvelo wow. I mean… just wow. I pity that woman’s child, a sibling would be a distraction? OMG.

I had a couple of male friends when I was at college, brothers, who had a mother who went everywhere with them. Seriously. We were quite a large group and we would organise social activities, trips to the cinema, etc which they could not join us at unless their mother came with them. She actively made sure that there were no romantic possibilities, girl friends but no girlfriends, if you see what I mean. She even went to class with them and sat downstairs in the students canteen all day while they attended classes, on their breaks like lunch they had to sit with her. I always thought that she was a one off, but after reading that article… maybe not.

ANef_is_Enuf's avatar

@bunnygrl holy moly. Those poor kids!

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

@ANef_is_Enuf No you’re not jaded and yes I’ve come across a couple of these women as well. They make some really swell sociopaths.

Photosopher's avatar

The article lost me at #8, Kissy Duck Face syndrome. That’s just too scientifically technical for me to understand.

ANef_is_Enuf's avatar

@Photosopher lol! I didn’t get the impression that this was meant to be a technical or clinical article… it stuck me more as “bloggy.” #8 made me laugh only because I’ve actually seen it.

No I don’t & what a relief that is. Those women are on a par with others who pour scorn on the notion that if men could get pregnant they’d be utterly useless. Just because you have a womb with a view doesn’t give you the right to play the big I am, now does it? XD

josie's avatar

I just read it again, and it gets more accurate with every reading. @ANef_is_Enuf Are you actually somebody I know, and you are trying to get me wound up today?
Nice try :)

bunnygrl's avatar

@ANef_is_Enuf that’s the thing though honey, they were both going into their early 20’s when we were at college. Some women should not be allowed to be mothers. Shouldn’t children be considered a gift? and surely there has to come a time when you let them go, and hope they bring back some lovely grandchildren for you to fuss over :-) Latching onto them like that is so unhealthy, not to mention that it must be unbearable (and humilitating.. I’ve been there on the outside looking in and seen what happened when she didn’t get her way) for the children.

ANef_is_Enuf's avatar

@josie no, I swear I’m not. ;) I do really know someone that fits this description so perfectly that I was tempted to ask a question about it on Fluther, though, if that is any comfort.

@bunnygrl so true.

The article is amusing, but I don’t know anyone like this.

I think there are very few women life this.

Blondesjon's avatar

I read that and just kissed my wife.

I always knew I was lucky. I just never realized how lucky.

Judi's avatar

Holy Crap!! This author must know my sisters ex daughter in law! Described her to a tee!!

Wow. That is so extreme. I hope not too many women like that exist. I can see how some women touch on some of the characteristics described, but I really question labelling anyone as a GU. I hate when a term gets out there and then it is applied to anyone that acts a little bit like one of the characteristics. At the very top of the article it talks about mothers feeling as though they are the mom, and you are irrelevant. Some women do 95% of the parenting, and so when they begin to acknowledge they don’t give a shit what their husband or exhusband says about the children, it is because the man set it up that way. Of course, there are instances where men truly want to coparent and the women are just incredibly controlling, but I just think we have to know the whole circumstance before we judge a women on some of the things named in that article.

Having said that, some items in there are really disturbing.

Disobedience is Abuse, I see in many women, not just moms, and the women harms herself in my opinion. It is victim mentality from what I can figure.

I figure the woman described in that article has a severe anxiety disorder. Just my guess.

Hibernate's avatar

Love the

I think a GU wouldn’t get past the first few sentences before she began to defend her position by explaining why she, the mother, is the most important person in her child’s life and why she, better than anyone else, knows what is best for the child. Blurgh.

The information I provide isn’t for the people who need it the most. It’s for the people who have been hurt by the the people who need this information the most.

.. comment

Judi's avatar

I sent the article to my nephew. The author had to know his ex. The poor child is so torn and is showing signs of deep emotional trauma. He is chanting, thinking that if he prays just right he will find forgiveness. His mother makes him feel guilty for loving his dad, who until the divorce was his primary care giver. The woman is sick and manipulative. Like a really bad movie.

@Judi How old is he?

Judi's avatar

40 my great nephew is 11

OpryLeigh's avatar

I can think of quite a few women like this, it’s one of my pet hates.—Again I would like to refer the people of Fluther (who are not yet aware of it) to one of my favourite sites STFUParents

jonsblond's avatar

I knew by #3 that I’ve never met anyone like this, thankfully.

aw, @Blondesjon. I’m the lucky one. =)

@Judi And the 11 year old has the crazy mom? Ugh, so difficult to watch I am sure, for you and your nephew. Frustrating. I have to assume the mother has been hurt in a profound way. Is there any chance she abuses drugs or alcohol? I know that seems a little out of nowhere, but I just wonder concerning a situation I am close too. Even scripts like xanax?

Simone_De_Beauvoir's avatar

I don’t know anyone like that but I imagine people with some of those characteristics might exist. I don’t appreciate the author conflating women with uteri even if they do believe that’s what the moms themselves are doing. Oh and really, there should be more articles about what fathers fail to understand about parenting and that ‘having her have the kid and raise it too’ isn’t the way it’s supposed to be. More men think they’re just ATM machines than their women do, in my opinion.

Blondesjon's avatar

@Simone_De_Beauvoir . . . Well, as a woman, of course you do. You wouldn’t want to be labeled as some sort of Aunt Tom.

Simone_De_Beauvoir's avatar

@Blondesjon As a woman (which I don’t identify as, but I’m pretty sure you’ll just ignore that), I of course do what?

Neizvestnaya's avatar

No, never yet.

Judi's avatar

@JLeslie, no drugs or alcohol, but she IS addicted to shopping.

Photosopher's avatar

“Are you frustrated with your wife or ex-wife’s attitude ”

The first line is telling…

In defense of the GU, let me first state that that’s all we need is another label to stand between the possibility of either reconciliation or at least a civil divorce, child custody, and generally just getting along with life in the easiest manner possible.

I read it again and really believe this article is nothing more than flame bate. It describes exactly the woman that we want to believe in, to justify our own position in the matter.

Though I’ve never heard the term Golden Uterus before, I was very pleased to learn of and label my ex with Borderline Personality Disorder.

In hindsight, and after speaking with many men who have gone through the same, I understand now that in many or most cases, there’s just too many other factors in play to pass such a quick unqualified judgment on anyone like that.

I’m not speaking of any woman who acts like this all the time… of which I’ve never met one like that. I speak of exactly the scenario the article states, which is anyone “frustrated with your wife or ex-wife’s attitude”, or anyone in the immediate family who is.

May we consider this woman is more than likely desperately clinging to some shred of identity after going through a split up. She may have lost a great deal of her source of income and security. She may be under the influence of extended postpartum depression. She may be dealing with children who a father sets against her, or at least perceived to be. The split may have resulted from the man cheating on her, leaving her for another woman, alone with the children, facing a whole mess of questions and issues that she never thought she’d have to deal with. She may be trying to justify her validity amongst a new girlfriend, or the great new house that dad built, and all the money he doles out as an excuse for loving the children. She’s wondering what kind of child support she’s going to receive, and how the hell she’s going to raise happy healthy children alone. She’s wondering if anyone will ever find her attractive again, and how she’d fit a boyfriend into the mix with schedule and children who want their father back, while she branded as the bad guy.

The article is flame bait of the worst kind. It does nothing to set a bad situation on the right path to healing for all parties. It does nothing for the children in the situation.

Before you comment with long drawn out examples of the crazy bitch in your life, just know that I’ve dealt with the craziest of them all and absolutely nothing you can say that would top the pain and heartache of my scenario. In hindsight, I understand that everyone gets crazy and unreasonable in these situations. More fuel for the fire of name calling and animosity may make us feel a little better in the short term. But it does nothing to encourage mental health and healing.

The article is also an advertisement for Shrink4Men Services. They’ll tell you exactly what you want to hear. They’ve got another name for any man who falls so easily for this obvious one sided ploy. They only say it in the back room when no one can hear them. That name they give men is Short Sighted Dumb AssSSDA. They’ve probably got a list developed for all the ways to recognize him and how to get his money. They won’t show it to you, but I assure you that keeping the anger and fight going between the man and woman is at the top of the list because our pain increases their bottom line.

@judi Interesting.

ANef_is_Enuf's avatar

@Photosopher actually, the one that I hear most carelessly tossed around about fathers that are no longer with the mother of their children is deadbeat. I see what you’re saying, though. I’m not sure that being blunt makes it any less true, but you’re absolutely right that it isn’t helpful.

tranquilsea's avatar

Mt MIL has shades of this. She thinks that just because she thinks it that, therefore, makes it true…for everyone. She tries and tries to control her adult children’s lives. All of her sons lie to her because they have to. She is the most toxic person I’ve ever known.

She had convinced my husband to not talk to his father after their acrimonious divorce. It took a few months of me being with him to get back talking to his father. That kind of behaviour is unacceptable.

She’s continually pulled tactics that put my husband in the position of choosing between me and her. She has tried the same things with my kids.

She says that she wants her kids to be happy but her actions speak louder that her words. Her actions shriek that she wants all her boys with their attention on her…all the time.

tranquilsea's avatar

People like these reek havoc in your life. As the article states the only way to handle them is with iron clad boundaries. We moved 1000 km away. That was a comfortable boundary.

Judi's avatar

My nephew moved to Dubai. I often wonder if the stress caused my great nephews leukemia.

athenasgriffin's avatar

I think the article makes it easy to label many women GU’s just because they have one of the traits listed. It states that some mothers believe that they are the most important figure in their child’s life. The fact of the matter is, that for many (if not most) women with young children, they are the most important person in their children’s lives. I think it is only natural that a woman would fight to get her child the best life that is possible. (Which takes money.) I know that many men would love this article if they hated their ex-wife. It is vicious pseudo-psychological hate-mongering.

tinyfaery's avatar

Great more woman bashing by other women. Im dismayed.

Judi's avatar

No. Just narcissist bashing.

SuperMouse's avatar

I can pretty much guarantee that if someone sent that article to my ex-husband he would say it describes me to a tee. He would of course be wrong, the whole thing creeped me right out. My children would agree with me on this – or else.~

Judi's avatar

@SuperMouse; I can’t see you using your kids to punish an ex.

SuperMouse's avatar

@Judi thanks! I do my best to keep the boys blissfully unaware of the strife between their father and me.

King_Pariah's avatar

Yeah, my Mom.

Judi's avatar

@SuperMouse ; and THAT is the difference between you and my nephews EX, who is the woman in the article to a tee.

ANef_is_Enuf's avatar

I have to agree with @Judi. @SuperMouse I can’t imagine you doing something like this to your kids, and your statement about trying to protect your boys from what goes on between you and your ex is a great example of that.
I think that anything could easily be misconstrued or used against someone that it doesn’t actually apply to… but I really do know women like what is described in the article. Not good moms who take pride in being good moms. Women who use their children like ammunition. Who are childish and put themselves before everyone else, including their kids, and then hide behind being a “mom.” It’s so clear to me the difference between the traits in the article that actually apply to good mothers, and should… and women like the one they are trying to describe who feel entitled to claim these things, and really do just the opposite.

Plucky's avatar

I don’t know any women like this. Granted there are a few that have one or two of the characteristics. I’m sure there are much worse out there too.

I agree with @Photosopher and @athenasgriffin. What a spiteful article. What’s even worse is that it’s from a so called professional in the psychology field. I wouldn’t trust a website/business called Shrink4Men. Dr. Tara J. Palmatier deserves the golden middle finger. I mean really, jeez.

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

To a point, most women suffer from GU or GE (Golden Empress). Since they are the one nature (if you are faithless) or God (if you have a faith) chose to carry and birth the children, many women relish the ideal they can make a man a father when he don’t care to and deny him fatherhood if he wants. I find nothing in that article too shocking or un-plausible. I find it very probable, actually.

Plucky's avatar

@Hypocrisy_Central I am so not surprised by your response. It will certainly be interesting to see how others respond to what you stated.

@Hypocrisy_Central many women relish the ideal they can make a man a father when he don’t care to and deny him fatherhood if he wants. Oy. I don’t know any women who relish this. But maybe we live in two different worlds.

SuperMouse's avatar

@Hypocrisy_Central do you actually know any women? Do you say these things just to troll? Maybe you are a hapless victim who has again and again been suckered into fathering children against your will. Poor Hypocrisy! Dude if that is the case the cure is simple keep it in your pants!

I have not met a single woman, not a single one who “relish(es) the ideal they can make a man a father when he don’t care to and deny him fatherhood if he wants.” Not a single one! I think that women as the one described in the article do exist (my ex-mother-in-law comes to mind) but they are the exception not the rule.

As a side note I think it is supremely ironic that the person who is complaining about men being forced into being dads wants women to be forced into handing over control of their own bodies and their pregnancies.

Photosopher's avatar

You’re thinking of the planet Venus @Hypocrisy_Central. Come back to Earth.

Photosopher's avatar

The company name Shrink4men sounds like they’re taking the balls away from men, even though they claim to give men bigger balls. You can tell a lot from a name. The irony..

Maybe where @Hypocrisy_Central lives there are a lot of women like that?

athenasgriffin's avatar

@Hypocrisy_Central I think there are more women forced into unhappy situations by pregnancy than there are women who use pregnancy as a trap. You must know some very messed up women, because I don’t know one woman of any quality who would “relish” making an unwilling man a father or denying a willing one a relationship with his child. Most women in either situation (an unwilling father or the denial of access to a willing one) feel that they have been boxed into a corner. The first situation because of an accidental pregnancy and the second because of a man not suited to parenthood.

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

@SuperMouse do you actually know any women? Do you say these things just to troll? Not closely thank you, in passing I have met more than I would care to.

@Photosopher Come back to Earth. Been here for half a century, thank you. However, in general, there seem to be many out on cloud 9 I would invite back.

@athenasgriffin I think there are more women forced into unhappy situations by pregnancy than there are women who use pregnancy as a trap. I didn’t say trap, I said if they find themselves in that condition, how they choose to handle it has nothing to do with the desire of the father, he is basically irrelevant. Unless you count unwilling dad’s bankroll, when the talk comes to money then they want him involved.

tranquilsea's avatar

@Hypocrisy_Central half a century? I completely had you, in my mind’s eye, at 25 max.

I too thought of @Hypocrisy_Central as younger. I think he mentioned his age a few months ago and I was surprised also.

Blondesjon's avatar

i’m going to need to see a birth certificate or some other form of valid id