mangeons's avatar

Why is this DVD so expensive?

Asked by mangeons (12120 points ) December 26th, 2011

Last year and the year before, we watched The Scarlet Pimpernel in French class. It was a really good movie and I loved it, so I wanted to look into buying it on DVD. However, I can only find it used, and people are selling it for $60 and upwards! I’ve searched everywhere, and I can’t find out the reason for its price! Why would it be so expensive?

jerv's avatar

Supply and demand. Try finding a copy of the first Disgaea game for the PS2 and you run into the same problem.

Once something goes out of print whether due to age or simply a limited production run the price will jump if it’s something that people still want. Look at the price of older Magic cards. Look at the price for a ‘69 Dodge Charger.

XOIIO's avatar

Probably because it’s old and hard to find, aside from that I have a freaking idea. That’s ridiculous it doesn’t even look like a Blu Ray

You can get it for free but you’ll have to pm me for that info, or google it XD

because some people will pay that much.

Response moderated
Jaltcoh's avatar

The sellers have determined that there are customers who value the DVD more highly than $60 (i.e. there’s a high demand), and that these customers won’t be able to find the DVD at a lower price because it’s hard to find (i.e. there’s a low supply). To support this theory, I notice that the Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive (274 people give it 5 stars; only 11 people give it less than 3 stars), and the sellers are saying the DVD is out of print.

Alternate theory: the $60 price tag is too high and no one will buy it; this will eventually cause the sellers to lower the price to, say, $40, which will suddenly look like a great deal to customers who saw the $60 price.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
fundevogel's avatar

Just because it’s listed at that price doesn’t mean anyone’s bought it at that price.

Bellatrix's avatar

I am not sure which version of the film you want but I did a search in www.booko.com.au and found the DVD available for $34 and the older film for $17. The prices are in AU$ but you will get a list of where there is a copy available anyway.

Response moderated (Off-Topic)
Dog's avatar

You will find that a lot of movies and books are priced high on some sites. As others have said, it can be supply and demand. However, it is worth watching out for. Here you can find a new, legit copy listed for merely $11.00 and free shipping.

It always pays to shop around. :)

Oh and I saw it via Netflix- it was very entertaining. I also like the older versions of The Scarlet Pimpernel.

MrItty's avatar

@Dog Look closer. That’s not anywhere near a “legit copy” It’s a Region 0 DVD, made in Hong Kong, with subtitles right on the case in one of the Asian languages. Can we say “bootleg”?

Dog's avatar

@MrItty I stand corrected. That us what I get for posting via smartphone!

tomalarm's avatar

While on the other side of the world Amazon UK this dvd is only £24.99 (38.68$). (edited currency rate)