JonnyCeltics's avatar

Are there ways to test for genetic susceptibility for Guillian-Barre syndrome?

Asked by JonnyCeltics (2698 points ) April 16th, 2012

My father had it and what he went through scares the bajeezers out of me. So little is known about it, including how to treat it. It’s a rare disease and I’d love to know what measures I can take to avoid it or be prepared or…well, to do anything I can.

I don’t know if there is genetic testing, but I have a question, did he get it from a vaccine?

jca's avatar

I got it – my daughter had a virus and everyone got sick, except me. Two weeks later I couldn’t walk and ended up in the hospital for a month of medical treatment and rehab. That was almost four years ago. I don’t think it’s something you should worry about because it’s very rare, so most likely you won’t get it.

JonnyCeltics's avatar

@JLeslie he didn’t, but I’ve been told not to get the flu shot because it may cause its onset…

jca's avatar

True, avoid vaccines if you can. I avoid the flu shot like the plague!

@JonnyCeltics People are expected to get tetanus every ten years. I recommend you get a titer done instead, that is what I do. It is a blood test that measures your immunity. You can get blood titers for many diseases like Rubella and others. Sometimes itis worth the risk to take a vaccine, but why risk it if you are already immune?

A lot of doctors will be annoying about getting a titer done, some are very cooperative. The only one I would worry about is tetanus if you are in America.