efritz's avatar

Cancelling my NYTimes subscription - need suggestions for free online newspaper?

Asked by efritz (3234 points ) July 29th, 2012

I’ve finally decided that I can’t afford the NYTimes subscription free anymore. I need a new go-to website for news that is trustworthy and free – some other websites I frequent are The Guardian and the New Yorker, and cultural sites like AVClub and Pajiba. Any thoughts?

suspendedfromaskville's avatar

I don’t subscribe to any of those newspapers that lie constantly. I’m so glad to know you are no longer supporting the New York Times. That paper has spewed false pro-war propaganda that was used as a reason to enter every single war. Then, after the war was underway, the paper apologized. I am totally serious! Here’s a whole book on the subject. The Record of the Paper,

Check out Free Speech Radio News, which is a nightly radio broadcast, but you can listen online here.

Alternet has some good articles here.

jaytkay's avatar

In no particular order…

The Christian Science Monitor is an excellent news site (don’t let the name deter you, it is not even remotely an evangelical site, it has a decades-long reputation as a premier news organization)

The Guardian

The Independent

When the NY Times tells you your 20-story/month limit has been reached, here’s a trick:

The story’s web address will be something like this:

Chop off everything after “html” and the address lets you read for free, like this:

efritz's avatar

@suspendedfromaskville – I don’t think the NYT lies constantly – though they definitely stepped in it by supporting the WOMD rumor and the war. Regardless, I think they’re one of the better sources of news, and if it weren’t for the subscription fee I’d still be a member. Not that even the fee is grossly unfair, I just am broke as hell right now.

@jaytkay – Wow, that is a great trick/hack, I will definitely make use of that! I do read the Guardian occasionally, and the other two websites look interesting.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

The Washington Post is free and has top notch reporting.

I get a lot of my news from’s r/worldnews subbreddit.