tilc's avatar

What is the minimum configuration of the newest iMacs that is good enough for HD video cut using Final Cut Pro?

Asked by tilc (121 points ) August 28th, 2012

I would like to cut HD movies therfore I’m looking for an iMac which is good enough to work on it, not slow and does the job. Which model had a good price/value for money? I would like to run Final Cut Pro for editing.

Right straight from APPLE

Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.
2GB of RAM (4GB of RAM recommended).
OpenCL-capable graphics card or
Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later.
256MB of VRAM (512MB of VRAM recommended).
Display with 1280-by-768 resolution or higher.
OS X v10.6.8 or OS X v10.7.4 or later (OS X v10.7.4 or later for broadcast monitoring).
2.4GB of disk space.

_Whitetigress's avatar

In 2012, I’m a firm believer than anyone trying to cut audio, video, photographs, should be working with the minimum ram of 8gb. The smoothness is greatly noticeable.

**Note I’m the type to get geeked up on coffee before work so I need all programs firing on all cylinders.

tilc's avatar

Thank you for the responses. Yes, I would like to cut and edit the videos the most smoothable way. I don’t want to wait a lot for the rendering and so. Probably the minimum configuration what apple recommends won’t be that smooth.

@tilc Yes, the minimum is just that. It will not be smooth or fast just it will work. 8GB or more will give a smoother processing.

tilc's avatar

And the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB videocard (which is in the iMac) is enough for the same mentioned work (cutting, editing) ?

That should work ( don’t use Final Cut Pro ), MAKE sure you buy the largest hard drive you can. HD videos take up a lot of space on the hard drive.