sillymichelleyoung's avatar

What do you think of this desktop build?

Asked by sillymichelleyoung (217 points ) September 10th, 2012

I’m building my first desktop and would appreciate any advice (and a check on capabilities). My max budget is roughly 2K (I got lucky with a summer internship, which is now a part time job during the school year cheers).

This is what I was thinking so far:

Corsair Carbide Series 500R – Case

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA – Motherboard

Intel Core i7–3770 – CPU

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO – Cooler

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB – Video

Corsair Vengeance 16 GB – Ram

Corsair AX850 – PSU

Western Digital 1.5 TB WD – HDD

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5” – SSD

Any recommendations is appreciated. Thank you. :)

jrpowell's avatar

What do you do with your computer?

mrlaconic's avatar

The only things I would do different is replace the corsair memory and power supply and crucial ssd with Mushkin (also avilable on amazon). Get the blank line for memory. Mushkin stuff can be more expensive but well worth it imho and has great reviews on hardforums etc. Again just my two cents on what works well for me based on my experiences with the hardware and reviews.

sillymichelleyoung's avatar

@mrlaconic – Thank you for your advice. I will take a look into Mushkin and make any adjustments.

@johnpowell – This is more like a toy for me, something to mess with for now (since I have a laptop I use for daily tasks/email/etc). Eventually, I will install the Adobe Suite, Matlab, Steam, and other programs I use frequently.

the100thmonkey's avatar

Why not go for a GTX660 2GB over the 570? The price differential shouldn’t be too high.

DeanV's avatar

It looks good. You don’t need an i7 unless you’ll be doing a lot of video rendering, but it looks like you will based on your answer above. I’d echo @the100thmonkey‘s idea of going with the 660 2GB or even a 560 Ti 2GB, as the most recent OC’d 560 Ti actually outperforms the 570. Also, an 850W PSU is a bit excessive, you can probably bring that down to a 700W, or even 650 maybe.

Not sure you really need to spend that much on the Mainboard. You can easily cut that in half.

nyboy718's avatar

You can get all those parts for much cheaper on

Other than the more expensive prices from Amazon… the build is nice, except for the case; its pretty boring.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Silence04's avatar

I would make sure you also get a HHD for mirror backups of your SSD for when it fails.

sillymichelleyoung's avatar

@the100thmonkey – Thanks! You’re right. The price difference isn’t too bad, so I’ll definitely take a deeper look into it.

@DeanV – I’ll take a deeper look into the PSU.

@ragingloli – Do you have suggestions for motherboards?

@nyboy718 – I do realize that Newegg has cheap parts so I’ll compare prices between Amazon and Newegg before I purchase anything.

@CWOTUS – Hah, nice catch. It was pretty late when I was typing this up, but thanks for the grammar correction. ;)

@Silence04 – Getting a HHD does seem like a good idea.

Thank you for responding. I’ll consider all of your recommendations to come up with a new list. :)

If it has to be the Z77 chipset, you can easily go with this Gigabyte Board:

sillymichelleyoung's avatar

@ragingloli – Thanks, I’ll take a look at it.

sillymichelleyoung's avatar

After asking friends that have been building desktops for a while…I came up with a new list and would appreciate any additional recommendations.

AR = After Rebate

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R ($114, $94.99 AR)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE LGA ($279.99)

CPU: Intel Core i7–3770 ($309.99)

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO ($36.99)

Video: MSI GTX 660 Ti PE ($309.99, $299.99 AR)

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 ($82.99)

PSU: Corsair CMPSU750AX ($169.99, 154.99 AR)
HDD: Western Digital 1.5 TB WD ($150.53)

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5” ($109.99)

Thanks :)