Sapphire_Frenzy's avatar

How do I find the moles of permanganate used in this titration?

Asked by Sapphire_Frenzy (90 points ) December 5th, 2012

I am completely stumped by this question, but there must be a simple answer.

The question i’m being asked is: ‘Use molar ratio to find moles of permanganate used’

I have no idea where to go from here. I overheard that the molar ratio is 5:2, but I don’t understand how this could be.

I started off with sodium ethanedioate (COONa)2 and dissolved it in distilled water. This was then transferred to a volumetric flask, and the flask was filled again with distilled water up to 250cm3. 25cm3 portions of this solution was pipetted into 4 conical flasks. 50cm3 of molar sulphuric acid was added to one of the flasks which was then heated up to 70 degrees. This mixture was then titrated with potassium manganate solution.

Any help would greatly be appreciated (I will email my teacher tomorrow but i’m such a fusser that i’ll unlikely be able to sleep with it on my mind)

Sapphire_Frenzy's avatar

Got it. Unfortunately can not delete the question.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

@Sapphire_Frenzy Good for you. You can flag it, or if you can’t I can flag it for you.