Highbrow's avatar

Are you street smart ? Are you more more book smart or street smart ?

Asked by Highbrow (366 points ) December 16th, 2012

Books and university degrees will not entirely equip you with the skills that you need to be successful in life.
You have just robbed a bank. The cops are now chaising you. What do you do. You have just killed a man. You need to figure out what to do with the body. What do you do. You are taking the most important test of the school year. You didnt study. The guy sitting next to you studdied like crazy and seems to know all the answers. The teacher is keeping a close eye on everyone. What do you do. You are driving on the high way and see a bad car accident. There is know paramedics anywhere. What do you do. A gang of guys are gana beat the crap out of you and take your money. What do you do. Your parents are going to take you to see your grandparent who you hate more then any body. What do you do.You are walking to a new friend’s house in a part of town that is unfamiliar to you. You notice that there is a person walking a little ways behind you for a few blocks. What should you do. You cross the street and the person crosses also, so he/she is still walking behind you. What should you do. You are at a party with one of your friends at someone’s house. A guy you have seen before at school asks you to come upstairs to hang out with him and a bunch of people you don’t know. You overheard that they were drinking upstairs. What should you do. Your parents told you that they want to pick you up at 11:30 p.m. from a party, but once you get there, you want to stay longer. A girl from your school says that her older brother can pick you both up later. You know that he drinks at parties. What do you do. You are going out for the evening to a party with a group of your friends. What should you do to develop a safety plan before you leave the house. You are at the mall alone and someone that you don’t know sits down next to you. You think that you recognize this person as someone you have seen in every store you have been in all day. The person starts talking to you and telling you about himself. What should you NOT do.
Are you street smart? Think so? For some people this will be easy as counting to four. For others it will be difficult.. which type will you be? Certified or banned? or maybe will you gain tag along status.
No one learns how to navigate a dangerous neighborhood in the safety of a classroom. Likewise, you won’t become street savvy while sitting at a computer and reading an article, but these guidelines are a good start.
Note that these tips assume you’re in a bad neighborhood where crime is commonplace; applying these steps in the workplace or on a college campus is probably excessive.
What are your tips to pretend you’re street smart ?

The following are my tips :
I always ollow my instinct. If a situation, person, or location feels wrong or makes me nervous, I get away as quickly and unobtrusively as possible. It’s better to walk away, even if it seems overly cautious, than stay in a situation that might become dangerous.
If you are a woman, don’t be surprised if guys look you up and down like they’re undressing you with their eyes. They might even call out to you, or say something about you (good or bad) as you’re walking by. Ignore them. It happens to the women who live there and they usually ignore it too. Don’t smile, don’t say “thanks”, don’t say “I can’t believe you just said that about me!”.
I always remember that even in bad neighborhoods, most people are just nice, ordinary people who are trying to live their lives. They may have biases, perhaps even against me, but they’re also just going about their daily lives. I’m aware that simple being polite and respectful can get me a long way.
People looking for a victim will typically go after someone who looks timid or lost. Conversely, people who suspect I am a rival may leave me alone when they learn that I am an outsider and have no stake in their conflict. I always try to appear calm and confident, but I do not act like an insider if I’m confronted.

1 Answer