bucko's avatar

Should gay guys have their own locker room?

Asked by bucko (648 points ) December 28th, 2012

I don’t even use the locker room at either gym I go to nowadays because of all the gay men doing inappropriate things to one another . You can go in the locker room at any time of the day and see gay guys going back and forth from the shower to sauna, not even making an attempt to leave the locker room and use the gym for what it was intended to be used for.

I think the gays should have their own locker room. Am I wrong?

Why? Seems like you have the problem, not them.

Do you think you are so attractive they are going to hit on you?

bucko's avatar

They’re doing more than hitting on each other.

SuperMouse's avatar

You are wrong. There is no need for homosexual men or women to have their own locker room. When you are propositioned just say you aren’t interested. If the harassment continues report the incident. Otherwise avert your eyes if you are offended by naked men.

@bucko a pattern is coming into focus, are you being deliberately provocative with your questions and answers here on Fluther?

livelaughlove21's avatar

For what purpose? Are you afraid you’ll catch the gayness? Are you afraid they’ll make a pass at you? If so, don’t flatter yourself.

As a very funny gay man once said, “Just because you have a penis doesn’t mean I want it.”

Switch gyms if it bothers you so much. Seems like you’re the one with the problem, not them.

And trust me, even if they did make a pass at you, I’m pretty sure that after you opened your mouth and spoke, they’d immediately lose interest. This question is ridiculous.

Seek's avatar

People go from shower to sauna all the time. It’s called avoiding hyperthermia. Methinks it’s an internal problem. Meaning, get over yourself.

You’re not making yourself clear. Are they performing sexual acts in front of you. If they’re not, then what is the problem?

bkcunningham's avatar

I will ask the obvious. How do you know that they are gay?

I shall say only this…homophobic arseholes should be locked in a room!!

bucko's avatar

I’ve seen a dude in the locker room with a boner. And it wasn’t some old guy overdosed on Viagra!!

CWOTUS's avatar

Maybe you should have your own locker room.

Seek's avatar

Isn’t physical arousal typically an involuntary bodily function?

bucko's avatar

The problem is it’s a locker room and not a gay bar.

bookish1's avatar

Oh, you can definitely catch the gayness from being in the same room with a suspected homosexual with an erection.

SAVE YOURSELF MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE QUEERS ARE RECRUITING!

@bookish1 – if that theory holds true, I (as a male) should be able to walk into a womens’ locker room and find a wife, right?

bucko's avatar

Kids go in the locker room!

SuperMouse's avatar

@bucko doesn’t locker room etiquette dictate that one keeps one’s gaze at eye level in order to avoid looking at the erections of others? (I’m a girl so I am not versed in the ways of locker room boner etiquette.) As for youngsters in the locker room, they are your kids I see no reason for you to get involved. Am I catching a whiff of homophobia here?

Michael_Huntington's avatar

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are ALL wrong.

In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn’t take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It’s clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother’s mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

CWOTUS's avatar

@Michael_Huntington you mean faults murals, don’t chew?

bucko's avatar

There’s a time and place for gays to be gay. The locker room at the gym is not that place.

Shippy's avatar

Don’t flatter yourself. I hate to generalize but gay men like attractive males.

@Bucko, you are getting tiresome.

Who gets to decide the time and place? You? Are you the master of the world? Maybe, just maybe, the time and place designated by the powers that be IS the locker room at the gym!

Maybe you are the odd man out here—what is a heterosexual male doing in that room in the first place? Shouldn’t you be out pumping iron or something like that?

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

Funny how the OP used the word trolling since that is all they do and if they are not trolling, then I think the OP is protesting a bit too much and I have a sneaky feeling it was him with the boner in the locker room.

zensky's avatar

I smell a troll. A not too bright, deep in the closet, troll.

Had this been worded differently, I would say flag it as it is both racist and disgusting.

Go back to Cancerbag and inhale.

@bucko; You just finished proclaiming that you are too busy to go to one gym, let alone two. I mentioned that I exercised for one hour, every other day. Here

You then responded;

“Several times a week is a lot. That’s like having a part time job, Gail”

“You have to really like going to the gym to want to go that often. I don’t.”

Stop being so silly and go do a good deed.

Response moderated (Personal Attack)
bucko's avatar

@Gailcalled I can go to 12 different gyms with the same membership. I never said I was too busy.

glacial's avatar

@CWOTUS I think he means false morels.

@gailcalled Nice catch. I remember those comments now.

bkcunningham's avatar

Here’s my take on this. If there is a legitimate problem with naked/seminaked/clothed people sitting around aroused or flirting or acting in a sexual manner in a locker room, I wouldn’t like it one bit. It wouldn’t matter to me if they were LGBTQ or H. Maybe, just maybe he has a legitimate problem at this particular place with some particular people.

bucko's avatar

Finally someone who understands proper behavior.

zensky's avatar

it’s full of trolling queers. is proper behaviour? Do you know how insulting that is?

Have a problem with jews and blacks, too?

Only time this was an issue for me was when I read the following on the back of a toilet cubicle door…if you’re gay and want your cock sucked dry, meet here at 7pm.
Imagine my horror when a quick glance at the time showed 6:59pm!!!
I literallly fled like a scalded cat.

tom_g's avatar

@bucko: “Should gay guys have their own locker room?”

Yes. Absolutely. Why should gay guys have to be exposed to dumb fucking homophobes and their stupid shitty uneducated stench?

Here is what I am thinking. I do not think gay people should have a separate locker room. I definitely don’t understand what children being there has to do with anything. Are the pedophiles? Or, do you mean they are behaving inappropriately in front of children by being overtly sexual?

I would say some gyms tend to be hard bodies with lots of people obsessed with bodies and pumped up on testosterone whether it be natural or artificial. Other gyms tend to be more family oriented. I would expect the locker rooms have the same types of atmospheres. I would assume in family oriented gyms, even the gay people who use it are not oggling other same sex gym customers or doing anything that you might think crosses the line. My advice is choose your gym appropriately, if there is choice in your area. I would also say if people are actually staring at others in the locker room and behaving badly and spending an odd amount of time in the locker room, tell an employee.

If you are just uncomfortable that people are naked in the locker room and you are pretty sure they are gay, too bad, that sounds like your discomfort. Change your clothing behind a curtain, or whatever is provided at your gym. I don’t know how men’s locker rooms usually are, but in the women’s room we don’t think twice about changing in front of each other. It would not make one bit of difference if I knew the woman standing next to me is a lesbian or not. It would not even occur to me that it matters.

bucko's avatar

Why are women even commenting? You’ve never even been in a men’s locker room.

dxs's avatar

@bucko To start this off, I am a guy.
I was pretty young when I first started going to the gym. I always thought of the possibility of a homosexual in the locker room, but I didn’t think about it too much. In fact, being naked in the locker room never really bothered me until I suspected that some old man was trying to peep at me through a crack in the shower stall. That scared me a lot, especially after someone was yelling about it happening to them a few weeks later. Nowadays I just think “whatever let them have their pleasure”...it irks me a bit but as long as nobody is following me home I’m okay.
I hope this isn’t too off-topic but, same moral: just ignore it and get over it. They are probably not going to be too important to you outside of the locker room. Gay people do seem to present many issues in society.

SuperMouse's avatar

@bucko sorry man, you get to decide who participates in your thread. Woman have been in women’s lockers and some may be offended by lesbians.

@dxs – I’ve been going to various gyms for 40+ years, starting in gym class in elementary school and now, all the way up to college gyms, the YMCA, and the place where I go now.

Maybe it’s me, but as far as I know I have never been the object of male sexual attention in the gym or the locker room or the pool. Sure, I have changed and showered and dressed in locker rooms with dozens of men in all stages of nakedness and being dressed.

Maybe I am completely oblivious and never have noticed it. Or maybe it just isn’t a real problem.

Shippy's avatar

Sigh, would love to be trapped in a mens locker room

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

I’m intrigued as to how the OP would determine if somebody was gay or not to then decide which locker room they would go to.

Shippy's avatar

@TheProfoundPorcupine The one with the boner?

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

@Shippy maybe you are shown pictures of guys and if you say ohh I like his hair…then that is enough to be sent to the gay locker room.

Shippy's avatar

@TheProfoundPorcupine I know I am being totally stereotypical here, but probably the good looking ones.. with the boner

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

@Shippy oh I am being stereotypical here as well so perhaps the good looking ones with the boner as they look at scatter cushions in a catalogue

What do gay men call piles? Speed humps!

CWOTUS's avatar

You know what the prisoners say in an all-male prison when they hear a fart?

“A virgin!”

Shippy's avatar

@TheProfoundPorcupine You know about scatter cushions?? O.o

TheProfoundPorcupine's avatar

@Shippy Not really so I would then go into the non-gay locker room.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

The OP asked, “Am I wrong?” I answer in the affirmative along with the vast majority in this thread. There are some strong words already written here. I’ll add just a bit.

I’m gay. I’m queer. Hell, I’m even a drag queen.

I am disgusted by homophobic behavior evidenced in posts like this OP all over the Internet. LGBTQ people have been marginalized, outlawed, abused, harassed, hated, loathed, preached against, murdered, and executed for centuries. It’s wrong. It’s imbecilic. It’s horrifying. I have a close personal friend who was beaten with baseball bats and left for dead simply because he was seen walking out of a gay bar. I personally knew a man who was murdered because he was a proud, out gay man.

The ignorance displayed in this OP and others like it all over the Internet are why LGBTQ youth kill themselves at a rate higher than others. The ignorance causes LGBTQ people to hate themselves on a fundamental level hard to describe. It’s deep. It’s to the core.

What kind of ignorance is displayed here? It’s simple hatred. It’s disgust of others because of difference. It’s hatred and disgust such as found in this OP that lead to hate crimes like the murder of Matthew Shepard in Laramie, Wyoming.

This ignorance is real, and I take it seriously. For too many years, it was actually a legitimate defense strategy in courts of law when a straight man murdered a gay man to say the gay man had made a sexual advance on the straight one. The supposed sexual advance was somehow supposed to have brought on the rage in the straight man excusing the murder.

That was bullshit then, and this argument of having separate locker rooms is bullshit now.

I would hazard a guess that it’s questions like this OP from all over the Internet that are really from deeply sexually repressed people of many different varieties. They may be LGBTQ or heterosexual. Sexual repression has one face: hatred.

Sex is a reality of life. It happens between all different kinds of people in many different places. Sex in locker rooms is not limited to gay men. Where should gay men be having sex? What is acceptable?

Separating out LGBTQ people and confining them to separate areas is akin to imprisoning us.

Do you want to put me in a prison for my loud defense of my personal rights?

Try it.

CWOTUS's avatar

Speaking as a totally heterosexual man, I’m glad to be able to give you the first of many, many GAs on that, @Hawaii_Jake.

Symbeline's avatar

What does a locker room have? Naked people going back and forth. What’s the problem? Are they stepping out naked into the gym? I doubt it. Why does it matter if a gay guy has a boner as opposed to a straight guy having a boner? You’re in a locker room, there’s bound to be a few boners hanging around.

Also, this thread is giving me a boner.

bucko's avatar

The dudes fuck each other in the steam room and the sauna. That’s not what you’re supposed to do at the gym.

Michael_Huntington's avatar

I’ve seen a dude in the locker room with a boner.
Why are you looking at other people’s genitalia?

SuperMouse's avatar

“There’s a time and place for gays to be gay.” WTF? Are you not heterosexual in locker rooms? Is asexuality required in locker rooms? Would that be a rule for men’s and women’s locker rooms?

bucko's avatar

I don’t have a problem with them being gay. I have a problem with inappropriate behavior.

Michael_Huntington's avatar

You have a staring problem.