npierce0711's avatar

Can a two year old ripped up scrap piece of paper hold up in a court room?

Asked by npierce0711 (9 points ) January 8th, 2013

im going through a custody battle with my babys father. We were in a very verbal abusive relationship he literally drove me to the edge of my sanity. We had a huge fight when my son was only a few months old. In a moment of weakness i wrote on a small piece of paper basically signing my son over to his father i then ripped it up and threw it away. he is now 2 years later saying he has the letter and is going to use it against me in court. is this legal can he use it? with out any witnesses?

Welcome to Fluther.

Get lawyer.

.

livelaughlove21's avatar

How exactly does he have this piece of paper if you ripped it up? Any chance he’s bluffing?

In any case, some scrap piece of paper isn’t going to hold up in court. It’s not an official document or a binding contract of any sort.

I’d get a lawyer anyways, as @Tropical_Willie said, but I don’t think you have much to worry about.

pleiades's avatar

I’d say the fact that you ripped it is evidence enough that you took your word back and wrote it in a fit of anger and was never formally handed over. But if he drove you to the edge of insanity and you admit this, it raises an eyebrow of mine.

npierce0711's avatar

I dont know how he has this paper there is a chance he is bluffing. He doesnt have a job and he has a domestic violence history not with me but past relationships. i must look like an idiot for picking this guy to have a kid with. but i need to know how much pull a scrap piece of paper has in court.