• This question is currently being edited.

General Question

What is the best solution to the noise pollution caused by Dirt Bike exhaust systems?

Asked by ikaroki (8 points ) February 11th, 2013

The debate of how to deal with the noise pollution is still persistent, causing an annoyance from different people who cannot stand noise decibels that high. One of the solutions is a sense of responsibility to other motorists by the restriction of dirt bikes to only off road terrains.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

Dirt bikes can be made quieter. They are powered by internal combustion engines. Look how well the exhaust system works on your car.
The problem with many dirt bikes is the additions of aftermarket ‘stinger’ exhaust system that make the bike’s torque curve peakier over a more narrow operating range. Most riders so not have the skills or equipment to notice the difference. They do however notice the noise and for many that is part of the fun. They are ones that give responsible riders a bad name.
Strict enforcement of local nose ordinances would be an effective means of controlling the racket.
An aftermarket Stinger Noise Suppressor would be great product for someone to develop. Feel free to run with the idea.

Welcome to Fluther! Let us know if you decide to market the SNS-1000.

I used to wonder about this too. What was with all the noise? Is it just a guy thing? I always added an aftermarket muffler to tone down the racket.
I don’t know if they still do but Husqvarna used to make a bike for the Swedish military that was quiet and dependable with plenty of hustle. It would also keep running even if you laid it down on its’ side, which, considering the amount of time I spent in that position, would have been a good thing for me.

There’s is a reason for changing the stock exhaust system. It is generally quieter and gives the engine flatter, wider torque and power curves. The bike is easier to ride with stock exhaust. But it does not attract attention.
It is possible to tune a bike to be peakier with more torque and power at one rpm point by using headers and stingers. That sharp, obnoxious noise you hear sends a reverse pulsation back up the exhaust system, right up to the exhaust valve, effectively ramming a little extra unburned air and fuel into the cylinder. This acts like a tiny supercharger at that one speed.
Very few riders are skillful enough to take advantage of the increased torque. They need to change gears more frequently to stay in the narrow band. Every gear change is a chance to lose power and miss a shift. If you know what you are listening for you can hear who is skillful and who is not. It’s like night and day.

Stupid, useless noise is not limited to dirt bike riders. Harley owners turn rapt at the ridiculous “potato-potato” sound of their engine – even though it is a sign of a poorly, internally timed engine. The best power to weight ratio is found in the smoother running engines.
Women could fix this issue if they refused to damage their hearing by sitting on the back of a noisy bike.

Dirt bikes are for off road use only. To my knowledge they aren’t expected to conform to EPA rules. They burn oil as part of the combustion process. They are usually intended as high performance engines for a organized sanctioned off road event. They don’t have mufflers in the conventional sense. They have expansion chambers and silencers that need to be repacked with insulation material from time to time. They are going to be loud even when they are running right. You shouldn’t be annoyed by them unless you are driving on a motocross track or they are ripping down a public street.

Response moderated (Spam)

This discussion is closed.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther