Social Question

Anyone have any experience of EDMR?

Asked by LornaLove (7008 points ) February 18th, 2014

I am asking particularly people who have had experience of it, or know someone who has done it. What was the outcome? What were the advantages and or disadvantages of it? EDMR

I have been offered it for past trauma, it sounds fabulous, they can apparently remove all my anxiety which is hectic. I am Bipolar. At the moment I am too scared to go ahead. I am afraid of some sort of disintegration in my mind, possible flash-backs and other professed side effects. Any feedback appreciated.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

My son is bipolar and it didn’t help but he was on heavy medication when he tried it.

I had it done for hmmm maybe a year? 6 months? This was about 20 years ago, so I don’t quite remember.
It was done for my PTSD. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn’t. I don’t remember anything dramatically different. We went really slow as I too was afraid of what might come of it.
I think eventually I just gave up on it. But it may have become more advanced in two decades.

I found this article interesting.

I did. I had no idea what it was and thought it was something else. When I went into the treatment I thought, ‘whaa… this is… ??”. I can’t explain it but nothing, nothing has worked for me like that. You have to go to someone very good and very experienced with this type of therapy. I was just amazed. I had no idea what it was when I made the appointment. If you don’t want to live a fear based life, try to do it. PS I did it in the winter of 2012

Let me just tell you a little more, since you asked about this therapy. I have a twin brother. We had an extremely traumatic childhood. There is one incident, involving him and our mother, that haunted me throughout my adult life. I couldn’t even think about it, I could never, ever talk about it. We are middle aged now and my twin is about to be paroled from a us prison. I have had major fuckups, too. But after having this therapy, this darkness, this haunting has left me. I am at peace in my head. I live a normal life now, If you have the good luck and are blessed enough to be offered this by a qualified practioner, please, please do it. It is life changing.

I’ve done it but not extensively as part of my regular therapy. It was relatively benign, a bit helpful but not as much as the other therapy has been.

@Bill1939 Yes, sorry I had written this at 3.30am and was perhaps a little hasty with my links. Please let me know if there are better ones.

Answer this question

to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther