LornaLove's avatar

Anyone have any experience of EDMR?

Asked by LornaLove (7008 points ) February 18th, 2014

I am asking particularly people who have had experience of it, or know someone who has done it. What was the outcome? What were the advantages and or disadvantages of it? EDMR

I have been offered it for past trauma, it sounds fabulous, they can apparently remove all my anxiety which is hectic. I am Bipolar. At the moment I am too scared to go ahead. I am afraid of some sort of disintegration in my mind, possible flash-backs and other professed side effects. Any feedback appreciated.

Judi's avatar

My son is bipolar and it didn’t help but he was on heavy medication when he tried it.

anniereborn's avatar

I had it done for hmmm maybe a year? 6 months? This was about 20 years ago, so I don’t quite remember.
It was done for my PTSD. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn’t. I don’t remember anything dramatically different. We went really slow as I too was afraid of what might come of it.
I think eventually I just gave up on it. But it may have become more advanced in two decades.

gorillapaws's avatar

I found this article interesting.

trailsillustrated's avatar

I did. I had no idea what it was and thought it was something else. When I went into the treatment I thought, ‘whaa… this is… ??”. I can’t explain it but nothing, nothing has worked for me like that. You have to go to someone very good and very experienced with this type of therapy. I was just amazed. I had no idea what it was when I made the appointment. If you don’t want to live a fear based life, try to do it. PS I did it in the winter of 2012

trailsillustrated's avatar

Let me just tell you a little more, since you asked about this therapy. I have a twin brother. We had an extremely traumatic childhood. There is one incident, involving him and our mother, that haunted me throughout my adult life. I couldn’t even think about it, I could never, ever talk about it. We are middle aged now and my twin is about to be paroled from a us prison. I have had major fuckups, too. But after having this therapy, this darkness, this haunting has left me. I am at peace in my head. I live a normal life now, If you have the good luck and are blessed enough to be offered this by a qualified practioner, please, please do it. It is life changing.

I’ve done it but not extensively as part of my regular therapy. It was relatively benign, a bit helpful but not as much as the other therapy has been.

LornaLove's avatar

@Bill1939 Yes, sorry I had written this at 3.30am and was perhaps a little hasty with my links. Please let me know if there are better ones.