Payingforcollege's avatar

How can a family with 5 children maximze fedral finanicial aid?

Asked by Payingforcollege (1 points ) April 17th, 2014

We have 5 children (18 yrs old to 11yrs old) who will be going to college and we are looking at ways to maximize federal aid to reduce future debt.

Seek's avatar

In Florida we have the “Bright Futures” scholarship. If you get a 3.5 GPA or above, you get a huge chunk of your tuition paid by the state, as long as you go to a community college or university in the state. When I was in high school, it was a full ride for a 4.0+ GPA, but it’s shrunk since then. I don’t remember the actual percentage it’s at currently.

You may check to see if your state has a similar plan.

stanleybmanly's avatar

Organized and diligent research CAN pay off tremendously. But expand your search beyond the federal government. I am notoriously cynical about nearly everything, but my own daughter has consistently demonstrated for decades that it is possible to attend top notch schools for living expenses.

GloPro's avatar

This isn’t federal financial aid but many companies will help their employees out. Even McDonalds offers scholarships. Do any of your children have part time jobs? They should apply for ones that specifically assist employees with college.