Gogogirl's avatar

Highly irritable person, how to quit smoking when I can't use any other store bought nicotine products?

Asked by Gogogirl (8 points ) 3 months ago from iPhone

As the question indicates, I get irritated too easily. I’ve had a rough child hood and have been smoking of two years. I’m 18 years old. Anything can set me off and I haven’t learnt to control my emotions due to my unfortunate upbringing. I can’t do any exercise as I have bad joints (docs can’t find anything on simple blood tests so they say it’s in my head-I’ve had to call an ambulance because I couldn’t get up before. Tell me that’s in my head!). I work in excess of 50 hours a week and have no friends, no licence ect. I’ve tried patches but they give me hives, the sprays and gum almost made me vomit. My reason for quoting is I want to be as healthy as I can, save money and as pathetic as this sounds to try and become more appealing to my sort of partner. He does smoke but hasn’t laid a hand on me in months and jumps to my touch a lot of the times. He is quite older than I. So how can I do it? Does anyone have any handy tips to quit and keep my moods under control? Any help is appreciated!

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

Can you go 2 weeks? That’s about what initial withdrawal takes. there is chantix but if you already have mood problems adding psych drugs on top of that is like throwing gas on a fire. The gum works, you need to learn how to use it. You don’t “chew” it like regular gum. You chew it for a few moments and then “park” it next to your gums for a few min and repeat. Every couple weeks cut the dose. Frankly though it’s easier just to go cold turkey for a couple of weeks.

GloPro's avatar

What about eCigs? There are also nicotine mints.
Your situation sucks. Props for realizing that smoking doesn’t solve anything. Stay strong, you can quit!

Judi's avatar

Do you have medical insurance? When my son tried to quit he had a manic angry episode and the doctor told him not to try to quit without his help. He put him on Wellbutrin while he was trying to quit and it helped him quite a bit.

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

@Judi I tried the wellbutrin thing when I was 20 and wanted to quit. I had a severe allergic reaction and ended up in the ER. It’s can be risky to go the drug route, I think that should be last resort. I ended up doing it cold turkey.

bolwerk's avatar

I highly recommend The EasyWay method. Just read the book and it goes through how to quit. I used it, haven’t smoked since 2007. And I was a 2-pack-a-day smoker.

I think substitution is a terrible method because it keeps the cravings alive. And cold turkey just makes you needlessly anxious.

People are going to offer a ton of ways to go about this, all potentially helpful in their own right, but essentially it’s down to you & that big grey muscle between your ears.

livelaughlove21's avatar

Wow. Smoking seems to be the least of your problems. I strongly suggest seeing a doctor (and a psychologist/psychiatrist) along with a counselor for you and this “sort of partner.” If he hasn’t touched you in months and jumps when you touch him, quitting smoking isn’t going to make him want you. Once you get your emotions and personal life under control, then you may have a better shot about cutting the smoking habit.

bolwerk's avatar

@livelaughlove21: quitting smoking properly can help with other anxiety problems, so it’s not a bad first step.

The partner should probably just be dumped.

ibstubro's avatar

I too, benefited from Wellbutrin. I think it could help with your irritability, as well. If you don’t have medical insurance, check to see of there are any government sponsored stop-smoking programs in your area. Locally, I know Catholic Charities will help with filling a script once you get one written.

Good luck. Kind of long odds with a smoking partner.

Skaggfacemutt's avatar

Smoking is a nervous habit to some people, and it seems like you are one of them. I am too, so I went to e-cigs about 3 years ago. I don’t cough at all anymore, and I don’t have to worry about people smelling smoke on me. I am not willing to give up my nicotine and my “me” time, just kicking back and puffing on it. Gosh, I have to have some enjoyment in life. I would rather do that than pop pills or drink.

Your partner problem seems unrelated to your smoking habit. Sounds like he wants out. Have you talked to him about it?

kritiper's avatar

Set your mind to the task of quitting. Then pick a weekend when you don’t have to go anywhere or do anything. Don’t smoke your last smoke on Saturday morning or you’ll never make it. The night before, buy tons of junk food and other goodies to eat and then do it! If you can get past 2 days then you’ll have it made. But remain strong after that weekend or you’ll succumb. Good luck!

canidmajor's avatar

I second the Easy Way method that @bolwerk mentions, it worked for me 5 years ago, no cravings, no irritability.

bolwerk's avatar

@Gogogirl: another plus of EasyWay is you won’t need drugs, prescribed or otherwise. The success rate is very high relative to over-the-counter drugs. I would urge you to try it before trying prescription drugs.

CWOTUS's avatar

Welcome to Fluther.

You probably won’t like my advice, but it’s free, so it’s worth every penny:

Stop making excuses.

If you’re highly irritable, then it’s good to notice that and want to work on it and bring it under control. You should be commended for that and encouraged to continue doing that. It is not good to blame it on “bad childhood” or “past experiences” or anything else that’s not in your control. You’re irritable? Fine, accept responsibility for it and work on it. Don’t lay it off on “all this stuff in my past”, because that’s just a ready-made excuse for “why I can’t control this; it’s not my fault.” I’m not trying to find fault with you, but I’m not letting you off the hook for accepting that it is your own fault (that is, “a fault that you own”), and something that only you can correct.

Likewise, smoking. If you want to stop and various meds and preventives don’t work for you, that’s not an excuse for you not to quit. Yes, it’s going to make the process more difficult, but it’s still a process that you need to own and control.

Sincere good luck with both of those objectives, by the way.

Cruiser's avatar

I did deep breathing exercises every time I got the urge to smoke. You take 10 really deep slow full lung inhales and slow powerful exhales till your lungs are completely empty. The reason you do it slow is so you take your time and 5 minutes passes by and by then so does the urge. The deep breathing will help you relax and become calm too.

Wear a rubber band on your wrist and snap it when you feel you are ramping up and getting anxious or angry. Also learn to meditate and do some yoga to help loosen your joints and strengthen your muscles.

pleiades's avatar

“I’ve had a rough child hood and have been smoking of two years.”

” I haven’t learnt to control my emotions due to my unfortunate upbringing.”

How can you change? Well it seems you realize your past. Now don’t let it define you. Seek a more positive mindset. Don’t let others define you and don’t define yourself to your past. It happened, it’s over. Grow from it. Don’t let it consume you. Do you want to be a 60 year old man asking yourself where you went wrong and pin point your child hood and you knew were well aware of it? Many people have rough child hoods, get your eye on the prize and set some goals for yourself.

You’re on the right path for looking for help

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

@Cruiser The alternate nostril breathing technique works wonders also. I found it superior to deep breathing. I did the rubber band thing too lol!

Cruiser's avatar

@ARE_you_kidding_me I love doing that…so relaxing! I suggest the deep breathing because after smoking for years, deep breathing fresh air is a foreign experience and usually will cause nausea and severe coughing. Do it enough times when you get the urge to puff and the Pavlov dog reflex takes over and eventually you have zero desire to smoke.

Dan_Lyons's avatar

I quit smoking cigarettes hundreds of times before I finally quit smoking for good at 35 after 25 years smoking (I used to steal dad’s cigs when i was ten).

I found the only way to quit smoking cigs for me was to substitute smoking pot. Worked real well to as I have been off for almost 25 years.

Unbroken's avatar

Well if convential means don’t work for you I have had friends getting accupuncture/accupressure to quit smoking and it worked.

But really it sounds like you are looking more for reasons not to. Really no method will work until you want it to. No matter how many reasons you list none of them were sincerely for yourself. It sounds like a personal pleasure one of few. My suggestion is really make a list of what smoking is doing to you. Then what it does for you. Then see if what it does for you can be replaced by another outlet a truer one, with less on the con side…