ibstubro's avatar

What's a great passive/aggressive line to stop or derail a discussion?

Asked by ibstubro (11756 points ) May 5th, 2014

Here’s a classic example: “You just have to have the last word, don’t you?”

Of course, meaning, “If you don’t give me the last word, you’re in the wrong.”

Surely you all have one. Rhetorical debate.

Feel free to have run with it!

kritiper's avatar

“Is a frog’s ass watertight?”

“For the fourth time, let me tell you why I am right and everyone else here is wrong. Don’t get it? Let me YELL.”

Mimishu1995's avatar

Edited: Sorry, @ibstubro, I read the thread wrong. I read: ”... to stop the discussion from being derailed”...

Rightful answer: I want to agree to disagree, but I just can’t.

Crazydawg's avatar

Call me when you can make up your mind.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

You really do think your shit doesn’t stink.

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

Don’t do passive aggressive, it’s chickenshit. Do full frontal, it works better.

jaytkay's avatar

You get very emotional about this subject. Let’s talk later after you calm down.

GloPro's avatar

@Crazydawg Wouldn’t passive aggressive be “I’ll call you?”

The silent treatment is also a perfect passive aggressive approach. Drives me nuts. Both of my parents are pros (I didn’t meet my grandparents until Inwas 5 over a squabble). I have also picked men that employ the silent treatment. I hate it!

dappled_leaves's avatar

Actually, I think this question defines passive-aggression.

Writing anything but the direct answer asked to you.

ibstubro's avatar

Well, we agree, @dappled_leaves, and you were the inspiration! As is your participation on this question, apparently.

Crazydawg's avatar

@GloPro I will have to call you when I make up my mind over this passive aggressive stuff. I hate P/A anything and especially this silent treatment crap you mentioned.

dappled_leaves's avatar

@ibstubro I’m going to guess you misunderstood me. But that’s fine.

ibstubro's avatar

It that like a bear crapping in the woods, @kritiper?

I’m sorry you just don’t GET IT, @gailcalled.

Exactly, @Mimishu1995. You want to_m but _you aint a gonna!

@Crazydawg “Call me when you can finally agree I’m right”, in other words.

Think, @Adirondackwannabe. See, that’s your problem, you can’t commit to a position.

You know who else used that argument? Hitler.

Sorry for invoking Godwin’s Law

ibstubro's avatar

I actually agree with you @Espiritus_Corvus – basis for my question.

Beautiful, @jaytkay. “You’re obviously letting your emotions speak to my superior intellect. Call me when you calm down.”

Sometimes the silent treatment is better than the alternative, @GloPro. When I do it, I’m trying to avoid a certain escalation rather than thinking of it as punishment.

Provided your both on the same page and there IS a direct answer, @JLeslie.

@Crazydawg .

Another perfect example of P/A, @dappled_leaves.

Arrrg! @filmfann! So soon?

GloPro's avatar

@ibstubro I agree completely that removing yourself to avoid escalation is wise.
The silent treatment involves long periods of blatantly ignoring someone. Sometimes for days. In my opinion it can be psychologically abusive. You know how you can feel that tense vibe in the air and you feel actively ignored? That is passive aggressive.

ibstubro's avatar

I don’t have a need for constant banter, @GloPro, and in the past the cooling off period has gone into what I thought was a reflective, companionable-silence period, when, in face, my S/O was in a rage the entire time. Our communication’s not real good. lol

dappled_leaves's avatar

@ibstubro You crack me up. My point is that THIS question is passive-aggressive. I made a comment on that question about your need to have the last word, and instead of proving me right in that thread, you prove me right by posting pages of unsolicited chatter to me via PM. When I ask you to stop doing that, you ask this question specifically about my comment. And rather than “remove yourself to avoid escalation,” as @GloPro put it, you are escalating this ridiculousness with every post you make on this question.

And you are asking other people how to be passive-aggressive? Wow. Just wow.

whitenoise's avatar

I’m not sure it would even be worth the time trying to explain that concept to you, given the challenges I face so far in making relatively simple things clear to you.

ibstubro's avatar

Oh, I thought you were just playing the game, @dappled_leaves. “I’m going to guess you misunderstood me. But that’s fine.” is perhaps the most classic passive/aggressive comment, ever.
“Your communication skills are obviously sub-par to mine, so I’d like to take this opportunity to forgive you, and stop all discussion.”
Perhaps you’re being a little egocentric about a Social question with voluntary participation. Not to mention that you’re pursuing a ‘perceived’ grievance who’s time has already passed.

ibstubro's avatar

Yes, and @whitenoise, had you not misunderstood the original concept, we wouldn’t be having this ‘discussion’ now! ~~
A classic gem!

whitenoise's avatar

Well fine, it isn’t a big thing to me, anyway. Our relationship and the final results of this discussion are most important for me.

If you want me to tell you, “you’re right”, then that is perfectly fine by me.

“You’re right!”

Is that what you wanted to hear?

I agree with @Espiritus_Corvus Don’t do passive aggressive, just say, clearly and directly…

” I am done here” or….if you want to be really cocky tell them ” You are dismissed” and walk away. haha

ibstubro's avatar

“Yes, honey, ” patting hand, “And of course, you’re right too.” @whitenoise.

Apparently guys won’t allow themselves to be photographed with that face.

whitenoise's avatar

@ibstubro

I don’t think guys can even do that face, convincingly. :-)

GloPro's avatar

This post is awesome because I have no idea if we are playing the game, answering the OP, or serious. So passive aggressive, the whole thing! I’m thoroughly entertained. <scratching head to come up with good comebacks>

GloPro's avatar

You do/say whatever you want.

ibstubro's avatar

Awww. @whitenoise. Sigh That I could be so… naive again!

Why should I be held to any different standard than you, @GloPro?

kritiper's avatar

“Insufficient data.”
“Let me get back to you on that.”

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

Let me take just a min to digest what just came out of your ~mouth.

That’s not right…that’s not even wrong

whitenoise's avatar

Why would you even bother with this? You have other qualities.

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

The quest for intelligent life in our universe rolls right past Fluther…

Crazydawg's avatar

If I wanted the job done poorly I would have done it myself.

flutherother's avatar

Talk to the hand the face isn’t listening. <pushes flat of hand up to persons face>

“Who appointed YOU god?”

ibstubro's avatar

Careful @ARE_you_kidding_me. I think you’re reached your limit of ~stuff.

Oh, @Crazydawg! I didn’t realize you were a hairdresser!

While I appreciate you covering your face, @flutherother, it was actually you ears that were my target.

“What god?” @elbanditoroso. Of course, you would pull the religion card.

WAIT, wait! How did this devolve into the Don Rickles Show?
And why am I hosting??

Crazydawg's avatar

@ibstubro Looks like you are in desperate need of a new barber yourself. Maybe I can be of service? ;)

Blondesjon's avatar

Bless all your little hearts.

dxs's avatar

Hmm…I don’t know what’s going on here.
Due to the vagueity (Bushism!) of this thread and its basis, I’m just going to go ahead and non-passively-agressively explain that I have no idea what is going on and would like somebody to fill me in. That is, if it’s even worth my time…

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

@dxs I believe @ibstubro Is jerking our collective chain.

ibstubro's avatar

Send over a couple helmets cuts, @Crazydawg and I’ll see if one trumps the other.

I think perhaps @dxs ‘got it’. @Adirondackwannabe: “I have no idea what is going on and would like somebody to fill me in. That is, if it’s even worth my time…”.
Somewhere along the line someone started providing snappy retorts to P/A statements and it sort went to hell from there. As in, “Oh, @dxs, we’re past the 3rd grade level, is surely has to be worth your time. Shall we take it real slow?”

dxs's avatar

a-baffled @dxs leaves the conversation

dxs's avatar

@ibstubro Hey! We have the exact same lurve score!

ibstubro's avatar

Congrats, @dxs! I hope we make it to the big house Mansion before the big fold.

dxs's avatar

and seven years ago

Crazydawg's avatar

“Therapy, not terapy” ;)

ibstubro's avatar

LOL @Crazydawg. Dint work

our fathers brought forth

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

mkay ya’ll ain’t getting this. You are supposed to ask “what are you counting?” Then I say “the number of times (poster above my numbers) does not get it, makes an ass of himself..etc…

Then said poster will say something like.. F%&k you

and I then say… six

dxs's avatar

one

ibstubro's avatar

If you have to explain your rational to us, @ARE_you_kidding_me, doesn’t that make it kind of ir…...?

GloPro's avatar

I didn’t want to be a part of this stupid thread anyway.

ibstubro's avatar

Ya, I cannot believe you all don’t have anything better to do with your time.

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

@dxs real creative, I await the #2 below this post

ibstubro's avatar

There’s always the Highbrow approach.

Mimishu1995's avatar

Passive aggressive remark: I really want to just quit and mind other things but I just can’t because it seems that I’m the only one who doesn’t understand the connection between P/A and lurves and numbers right now ~

GloPro's avatar

I gave @dxs all GA’s so that he can catch back up with @ibstubro… Don’t tell me I’m no good at being passive aggressive… Everybody, quick, GA @dxs!~

@ibstubro LOVE the clip, no joke. Can we make passive aggressive the word of the day? Ahhhhhhhhhh!