Hawaii_Jake's avatar

Are you concerned about the neutrality of the Internet?

Asked by Hawaii_Jake (25799 points ) 3 months ago

The FCC, which regulates Internet service providers, is set to end the neutrality of the Internet. There are a few things we citizens can do to help stop this.

We can send an email to the head of the FCC at

Tom.Wheeler@fcc.gov

And we can call them at

888–225-5322 and then press 1, 4, and 0

A person will answer. They will ask for your name and your full address and your message. Say, “I’m calling to ask the FCC to reclassify Internet service providers as Title Two Common Carriers.”

They’ll ask if you have anything else to add. Say, “No, thank you.” They will type it all in.

Hang up.

The whole thing will take approximately a minute or less.

Are you interested in net neutrality? Can you explain your opinion?

johnpowell's avatar

Keep in mind that Tom Wheeler was a lobbyist for the very people he is supposed to police before heading the FCC.

“Prior to working at the FCC, Wheeler worked as a venture capitalist and lobbyist for the cable and wireless industry, with positions including President of the National Cable Television Association (NCTA) and CEO of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA).”

I would call your Senators and Congressperson too. This is actually a pretty big deal. If this had gone through in 2000 there most likely wouldn’t be a youtube or netflix right now.

Thanks for posting something we can do about this, although like many current issues, I feel like I am pissing in the wind.

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

You said what can be done, but why bother to do it, what will happen or not happen because of it?