GloPro's avatar

Should the emergency room be allowed to make an appointment with an approved doctor for a patient and send them away?

Asked by GloPro (8210 points ) May 16th, 2014 from iPhone

If a non-critical care patient is taking up a bed and time, should ER docs be allowed to schedule an appointment with a doctor (under the same payment option – as in taxpayer) for a patient and send them away?

1 Answer

flip86's avatar

In my area, there are walk in doctor’s offices. They call it express care. The problem with it at first was that it was farther away than the actual emergency room so people never went. Plus, I’m not sure people really know about it. They built a brand new hospital(—and closed the old one—) which is now about the same distance away, so there is no excuse anymore not to use express care.

I still don’t think ER’s should turn people away. Where do they draw the line? Who makes the decision?