General Question

GloPro's avatar

Do I need to pay for an emergency vet visit? (Time sensitive!)

Asked by GloPro (8022 points ) 1 month ago from iPhone

Oh, no! My 4 month old puppy just ate a bag of weed he found on the beach. He probably ate two good sized buds before I wrestled it out of his mouth. Damn puppy.

He weighs 40 pounds. Do I need to get him to an emergency vet on a Sunday, or will he puke it up, ride it out, pass out?

Does anyone know what to expect here?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

21 Answers

chyna's avatar

Call them and ask if they think you need to bring him in. I probably would take him in though. Better safe than sorry.
Who the hell leaves their weed on the beach?!

Coloma's avatar

Call and ask the emergency vet. Get him to drink a lot of water in the meantime and probably wouldn’t hurt to stock up on some Snausages for when the munchies hit.

El_Cadejo's avatar

I think he’ll be fine. My friends dog ate a whole batch of pot brownies before(there was close to an ounce in there). Only side effect was the dog slept for the rest of the night :P

Also worth noting that since the marijuana was raw and not cooked it will have significantly less effect than if it were baked into something.

janbb's avatar

You’ll be worried until you call so call and take their advice.

Seek's avatar

Hubby says it could lay him out for a while, and you may notice him shaking. Mostly he’ll sleep a lot and then wake up fine.

GloPro's avatar

The vet instructed to feed a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to induce vomiting and expect a good nap. I only need to monitor breathing or prolonged symptoms. Dizziness, lack of muscle control, lethargy, general malaise. He’s a 4 month giant and never has coordination or muscle control, and sleeps quite a bit already. I can tell he feels bad because he is glued to me.

He didn’t mention the munchies, @Coloma :-)

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

My chihuahua ate a whole bag of catfish bait the other day. My vet said the same thing :induce vomiting and let her sleep. I did not have to induce, it happened organically…all over the place. You cannot begin to imagine the smell of catfish bait dog vomit.

Darth_Algar's avatar

If it was just weed he should be fine. Might laze around a sleep a lot for the next day or two. Might get the munchies later.

livelaughlove21's avatar

Yeah, he found it on the beach. I’m sure. ;)

GloPro's avatar

Haha, I don’t have any problems with weed, I just don’t smoke it. It looks like Oda is in that experimental stage, though. I put the mangled bag with what was left in my outdoor grill and texted the girl. Not surprisingly, she was bummed he ate half of her stash. I think she should be glad she got half back.

livelaughlove21's avatar

She’s the moron that dropped her drugs on the beach. She’s lucky she got any if it back. I personally would’ve tossed it. But I’m a bitch like that.

Darth_Algar's avatar

@GloPro

You texted the person? Did she write her name and number on the bag? Like an “if found please contact….” kind of thing?

GloPro's avatar

No. It was under my picnic table on my beach. My neighbor invited her fiancĂ©‘s daughter to enjoy herself yesterday. Clearly she did.

Darth_Algar's avatar

@GloPro

Ah. I was thinking it was some random bag you came across at a public beach.

CWMcCall's avatar

Poor puppy, what a BS turn of events that has to have you on the edge of your seat. No human or animal I know of has died from ingesting a few buds. Just get him a bag of Cheetos, and don’t expect him to be all that robust in the AM.

chyna's avatar

Please give us an update on him tomorrow.

Coloma's avatar

Yes….it has been what..about 5 hours or something now? Is he passed out? Take him for a swim in Tahoe, that’ll sober him up. :-)

GloPro's avatar

My little buddy slept it off. He was groggy and slow all afternoon and stuck to me like glue all day. He was kind of an Eeyore.
He is eating dinner now… About two hours later than usual. His tail is back to being a metronome.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes!

canidmajor's avatar

Puppy still OK? (A couple of days later)

GloPro's avatar

All of his teeth are falling out and he’s always hungry, but I suppose I can’t blame it on the weed. :-)

canidmajor's avatar

Avoid walking barefoot around the house for a few days…those little suckers are sharp! ;-)

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther