millfletcher's avatar

What work can I do in Indonesia?

Asked by millfletcher (4 points ) 3 months ago

By the end of this year, more likely in October, we will be in Indonesia. My husband has a job offer in Jakarta and his offer comes with bringing his family there to live with him. Of course, that would be the best for everyone but the problem is that would mean i had to stop working. It is actually fine with me but I do not want to be a plain housewife, I want to continue working there.

I am a nurse, based on what I heard, nurses are not so in demand in the country. I am willing to do just anything possible. What work can I do there? I already checked on http://www.axishcl.com/?ui=jobs but nothing seems to be working.

cazzie's avatar

I will ask a friend of mine who is from Jakarta. I’m sure a nurse’s skills would be well utilised with an NGO and there are many there. You know if you will have a work Visa? Also, it is a cheap place to live. Consider using your skills to volunteer.

pleiades's avatar

Apply as a nurse, America hires on foreign professionals all the time.

Teach! Good teachers who have a background with advanced education are always in demand.

CWOTUS's avatar

Welcome to Fluther.

While basic nursing is not in short supply in Indonesia, “Western medicine” and especially Western standards of hygiene are always in demand. People in East Asia as a general rule – I don’t want to stereotype here, but I do want to give you an example of prevailing culture – are very agreeable to the things you say and request, but execution is another story entirely.

So, as a patient you tell your doctor “I want you to assure me that your practice standards meet with AMA standards for patient care.”

“Of course, madam.”

“Show me.” This is where it gets tricky, because where you may take certain things for granted, such as potable water from taps, sterile storage of materials, routine sterilization procedures to treat exam rooms, operating rooms, tables and equipment, the quality of sterilization materials to be to a given standard and strength, autoclaves with monitoring gauges and thermometers that are calibrated and trustworthy, routine logging and charting, etc., these may be present “in form”, but not in function and actual execution.

I’m not involved in medicine, so I’ll give you an example from construction, which I do know.

In boiler construction, modern welding technique (by which I mean “since before the 1970s”, when I started in this business) means that welders understand that low-hydrogen flux-coated shielded metal arc welding rod (the most popular kind) has to be kept heated in portable rod ovens after opening the sealed cans and right up to use, because otherwise the flux coating on the unused rod will absorb moisture from the atmosphere, introducing hydrogen into the as-welded surface, which can lead to cracking. This is known around the world to welding engineers and experienced welders; it’s not rocket science. So welders in Indonesia carry their low-hy welding rod in portable rod ovens, just like everywhere else in the world, because the warm rod (200°F or so) will prevent that unwanted condition. So far, so good, right?

Ah, but is that rod oven plugged in? Is there even a place to plug it in where the work is being done? Does the rod oven work, if it is plugged in? Is the temperature up to spec if it is plugged in and working? Not usually.