PriceisRightx26's avatar

Why do leg raises make my head hurt?

Asked by PriceisRightx26 (377 points ) June 25th, 2014

Whenever I do leg raises (a lower abdominal workout) my head feels like it’s going to explode. What could cause that?

Thanks in advance!

snowberry's avatar

< not a doctor…
Assuming you’re laying on your back when you do the exercise, my first guess would be it raises your blood pressure, which gives you a headache. Either that, or somehow it pinches a nerve in your spine which shows up as a headache.

syz's avatar

My first thought was to recommend that you have your blood pressure checked.

I’m not a doctor. I would check my blood pressure immediately after the exercise as suggested above, and check it in general. I also agree maybe a nerve thing.

Don’t do leg raises, the risk of causing more damage than good isn’t worth it. Try a different exercise for abdominals.

Dan_Lyons's avatar

Blood rushing to your head from raising your legs above head level. Try not raising your legs so high.

PriceisRightx26's avatar

I agree, my initial thought is blood pressure, also. Every time I check my blood pressure though it’s under 120/80 (not by much, it’s usually around 109/70).

I’m glad someone mentioned something about a pinched nerve; just set a light bulb off in my head. Thanks so much!

Just to clarify the damage I mentioned has to do with straining back muscles. Google and read up on leg raises, a lot of atheletes don’t recommend them.

LDRSHIP's avatar

Check your breathing and form on the exercise.

PriceisRightx26's avatar

Just in case anyone wanted an update on this; had surgery for endometriosis and the surgeon cut adhesions that had a whole lot of intestines (including my appendix) stuck to my pelvic region. Issue aforementioned is gone. I guess yankin’ your organs out of place can have some not-so-pleasant side effects :P