ScottyMcGeester's avatar

Are any of the non-Frank Herbert Dune books worth having?

Asked by ScottyMcGeester (1014 points ) July 29th, 2014

I’ve only read Dune and soon I’m going to re-read it and actually finish the original series. But when I was younger I also bought The Butlerian Jihad and the Battle of Corrin for later reading. I only have The Machine Crusade missing. But I was wondering if it was even worth my time reading those because I heard horrible things about the “expanded universe” of Dune, and that the original series is only the best one.

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

I think after Dune Messiah it goes down hill precipitously. Actually, Dune Messiah was kinda boring as well. The original Dune was a masterpiece though.

canidmajor's avatar

I can’t answer personally (sorry) but my brother (in his 50s) is a sophisticated SF reader and has enjoyed the entire expanded Dune universe.

Have fun with the series!

ScottyMcGeester's avatar

Oh, really? Even Frank Herbet’s own original series? I mean. . .I read Dune when I was pretty young and started Dune Messiah, and I remember feeling that it was kind of bare, but I didn’t get to read after that becuase life happened.

ibstubro's avatar

If you’re interested, NPR’s ‘Science Friday’ is restarting the book club with Dune, currently.

rojo's avatar

I agree with @ARE_you_kidding_me. It has been a few years but I remember being bored with Dune Messiah and I have a vague memory of Children of Dune but after that they all run together and are not memorable. I read most of them but could not recall a single title except maybe one called Charterhouse or something but I think these were all Frank H. books. I don’t think I even bothered with the others after these last ones.