What are the pros and cons of adopting (as opposed to birthing) a child?
If I decide to have a child, I think I would like to adopt her rather than birth her. Even though this would not be happening for at least another ten years, it’s certainly something I would like to put many years of thought into. For those of you who have children (by birth or by adoption), I am interested in your opinions.
As I see it (as related to my situation and things I care about), these are the pros and cons of which I am aware:
– No adverse effects on my body (no stretch marks, no weight gain)
– Less detrimental to my career (I wouldn’t need as much time off, and people wouldn’t even technically need to know I was having a baby, so they wouldn’t be opposed to collaborating with me because they’re afraid I’m too busy with my baby)
– I could ensure my baby would be female (I only want one child, and I want her to be female)
– I will never see genetic things of either parent (daddy’s eyes, mommy’s smile)
– My child will not have innate personality characteristics related to either parent
– I will not get the fun attention of being pregnant
– I will miss out on many exciting things associated with becoming a mom the “natural” way (Lamaze class, etc.)
What are your thoughts, both on the pros and cons I’ve listed and on any others?
This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.