Kingkamandi's avatar

What is the recipe to make plasti-goop for the old Creepy Crawelers toy?

Asked by Kingkamandi (149 points ) November 27th, 2008

Mattel, and later ToyMax and Jakks toys manufactured a toy called Creepy Crawlers in which you poured liquid plastic called plasti-goop into aluminum molds of bugs and other creatures and baked them in a small oven to make flexible, bendable toy bug. The refills are hugely expensive (even on ebay) so I am looking for a way to duplicate the recipe for plasti-goop. I am not looking for alternatives like clay, elmer’s glue etc.

Does anybody know what plasti-goop is made from?

DandyDear711's avatar

I wish I did! Do you remember Incredible Edibles? Same creepy crawlers but edible?

jtvoar16's avatar

I miss Creepy Crawlers! I used to make them, then sell them at school. I payed for my entire middle school lunch, for all three years, on those things. I got really creative and started to add eyes and hair and stuff.
As for the formula? I don’t know. I still have an old bottle barred in my heap-o-mess I have yet to clean up, but when I find it, I’ll take a look-see at what it is made off.
My best guess would be basic plastic, with some form of silicone to make it pliable. If that was the case, the plastic beads are really cheep, for 50$ you can get like a 20 lbs. bucket, but silicone can get ery pricy (this year, alone, I have spent 3,000$ on enough for my photography. I do profession hollywood makeup, with things like horns and whatnot.) That is a lot of silicone, but still, for that price, you might as well buy the bottles, but at the same time, it may not be silicone. You also have to consider the dye they might use. I know some dyes change dramatically when exposed to heat.
I really want to know now, what they made that stuff from… cause the more I think about it… the more I realize I have no idea what kind of compound would cook like that… It ether goes from liquid to solid, or viscus, never semi-solid…

Kingkamandi's avatar

It is a tough one to figure out. It kind of looks like liquid latex mixed with mineral oil and coloring. Does liquid later harden (but remain pliable) when baked for a few minutes? Is silicone a pourable liquid?

Kingkamandi's avatar

A call to Jakk’s Toys has given me the main ingredient; PVC!

DandyDear711's avatar

So do you just melt a pvc pipe? P U! Is that hazardous?

jtvoar16's avatar

Did he\they mean Vinyl Chloride?

Kingkamandi's avatar

Yes, PVC stands for Poly Vinyl Chloride,

omega's avatar

Hi, This material is also commercially known as Plastisol.
It is a liquid PVC compound, commonly used to make fishing lures.
I’d advise the Professional #502 type. A whole QUART of this stuff costs a mere $18 !

Here’s where you can get it from: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Search/plastisol.aspx

-Steve

jhb's avatar

Way to go Steve!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!

kris10's avatar

Hi! thanks for the websight info, one more question. It says it needs to be heated to 325 before it hardens would that work for a creepy crawler oven, they dont get near that hot
thanks!!!

Response moderated (Writing Standards)
bigfishingdude's avatar

PLASTISOL IS PVC (WHEN I READ THIS QUESTION THAT POPPED UP THE HEARING PVC WELL ) PLASTISOL IS WHAT SOFT PLASTICS FOR FISHING IS MADE OF AND I USE THIS STUFF HOWEVER IN RAW FORM ITS RUNNY LIKE MILK AND WHITE TILL HEATED THIN IT THICKINS AND TURNS CLEAR THEN IS RUNNY AGAIN LIKE HERSHYS SYRUP OR THICK MOTOR OIL AND WHEN COOLS IS SOLID YOU CAN GET THIS STUFF AT JANNS NETCRAFT BUT ITS CHEAPER AT LURE CRAFT AND THEY OFFER A SAFER GREEN TYPE BUT BEARS BAITS HAVE IT ALSO

Kendall's avatar

Is there anyway to Color the Plastisol? Does it come in colors?