nebule's avatar

Can i use normal milk in replace of cocnut milk for a Thai Red Chicken Curry?

Asked by nebule (16157 points ) February 25th, 2009

Obviously it’s not going to taste the same…but will it taste good still?

And do you have any other suggestions?

bythebay's avatar

I think no; what’s your reason for not wanting to use coconut milk – let’s start there.

nebule's avatar

i haven’t got any and i can’t go out and get any :-(

dynamicduo's avatar

I did a Google search for “coconut milk replacement” and found this first page that talks about alternatives you can use if you have those ingredients.

TheRocketPig's avatar

I think you might be able to go with heavy cream… not sure how it will turn out… Red Curry is just so damn tasty… I don’t want ya to ruin it :)

bythebay's avatar

Heavy cream is a good texture substitute, you could add some coconut essence; but that’s an odd ingredient to have on hand.

nebule's avatar

hmmmm looks like i might have to postpone as i have none of those ingredients…but thanks @dynamicduo x

dynamicduo's avatar

I have never cooked Thai food so I don’t know if substituting it with sweetened cream would be enough. If the recipe doesn’t need a massive amount, I’m sure you can cheat somehow. But if it’s a critical component then I guess you may have to postpone.

TheB's avatar

um…. ‘milk’ is a loose term for ‘liquefied coconut pulp’... has nothing to do with moo milk… but, if you’re hell-bent on doing it, just make sure you don’t let the milk reach its boiling point(!) i made some thai green curry the other day… yumz0rz.

nebule's avatar

I think I’ll leave it :-( never mind…. I’ll prepare better next time…I think about having a whim to cheer myself up!

nebule's avatar

thanks everyone anyway!!! :-))))

bythebay's avatar

@lynneblundell: You do realize that now everyone that read this is craving curry, right? :)

Darwin's avatar

@bythebay: Yes, but I will be going to a Thai restaurant in about an hour, so at least I can do something about my craving.

And coconut “milk” adds a subtle but important flavor to recipes. While it might be good with heavy cream (it will get the right thickness) it won’t have that coconut under-taste that makes certain curries so addicting.

ubersiren's avatar

You can- it won’t taste as sweet or coconutty, but won’t do anything different to the structure of the dish, if that makes sense.

nebule's avatar

well…I did improvise in the end… I made a spicy chicken cacciatore… out of bits and pieces i had in the fridge…it was yummy… not curry but sufficient to satisfy my spice craving! thanks all x

ashwani's avatar

i have tried adding cornflour it tasted good.