Help! What early 80s music can I use for "Steel Magnolias"?
I swear this is my last play ever. Super frustrating.
Okay, I need music suggestions to go with the play “Steel Magnolias.” Here’s the criteria:
1. early 80s (1980–85), but not new wave, punk, pop—more along the lines of country, rock, ballad. Music that would play on a southern, rural radio station. Later 80s stuff can be a little more edgy.
2. Not love songs. I need something more anthem-like. Anthem topics can vary widely.
3. Possible themes: hair, women’s beauty (makeup, nails, etc), working class, football, marriage/relationships, 80s woman, sweat, princess grace/jacqueline smith, the color pink, young love, gossip, the radio, mothers and daughters.
4. I’m sort of looking for stuff that hasn’t withstood the test of time (one hit wonder-like), but classics are okay at this point, too.
5. Here’s what I’ve brought in so far. I’m not saying it’s very good, just what I have:
Bobbie Sue – Oak Ridge Boys
Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
Born on the Bayou
Drivin’ My Life Away – Eddie Rabbit
Love’s Been a Little Bit Hard On Me – Juice Newton
Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue – Crystal Gayle
Walking on Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves
Magic – Olivia Newton John
Sailing – Christopher Cross
Babe – Styx
Theme song from “Alice”
Against the Wind – Bob Seger
Bette Davis Eyes – Kim Carnes
Wouldn’t It Be Good – Nik Kershaw
Strut – Sheena Easton
That list looks long, but I need a few more suggestions.
This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.