fathippo's avatar

How can I 7 string my 6 string..?

Asked by fathippo (741 points ) February 24th, 2010

sorry this is probably a stupid q =)
I love korn, a lot, and need to play their music, and music with that deep n’ kinda thick feeling… (or as good as ye can make it with this)
I don’t mean how can I cram 7 strings on it =), but what would be the best way of arranging things etcetc… ?
And tuning, I’m guessing these low b’s would not be ideal on these sort of guitars…
I know this won’t sound all that great (especially me playing stuff ;) ), but don’t have money to be buying guitars…

so anything you can tell me to help… (?)

sorry… i normally stick to pianos so i’m kind of a layman here =P
thankyou… =)

noyesa's avatar

If you’re planning on using 7-string guitar strings on a 6-string, just start with the low A string where the low E should be, I suppose.

stratman37's avatar

well, it’s gonna be cheaper to just BUY a 7 stringer, ‘cause you’d have to replace the nut, bridge and pickups…not to mention that your existing neck won’t leave ya much room for playing 7 strings. I think noyesa’s got the right idea, ya just leave off the high E and restring it. Korn music is mostly power chords anyway, right?

stratman37's avatar

Another plan would be to try and find tablature like from that would approximate Korn’s sound while playing a 6 string.

fathippo's avatar

@stratman37 pretty much that sort of thing, yeah

and thankye’s…

stratman37's avatar

Anytime, and let us know how it worked out!

LuvBubble's avatar

Novesa, you are incorrect. The Bottom string should be a B, so your tuning would go B-E-A-D-G-B