susanc's avatar

Can I protect my deck with vegetable oil?

Asked by susanc (15601 points ) March 11th, 2010

I have a lot of clean, filtered recycled fryer oil that’s supposed to be used for automotive fuel. It’s been around for a couple of years. And I have a deck that’s getting kinda parched and dry. Is this a good match?

Divalicious's avatar

I would think that vegetable oil would get rancid. I know you don’t plan on licking your deck, but won’t it eventually stink?

snowberry's avatar

Food grade oil, when it dries out and gets hard is sticky. Perhaps you need to have something that will alter it so it won’t be sticky. And I agree about the smell. Unless of course you don’t have a sense of smell.

Fred931's avatar

I accidentally waterproofed small portions of my driveway with some spray-bottle Armor All tire shine. That could work.

Cruiser's avatar

Linseed oil is still one of the best concrete sealers and outperforms all the latest fancy chemicals on the market. You can try cutting the oil 50/50 with a solvent like kerosene or mineral spirits to help the oil penetrate. This will help you avoid a thick sticky layer of goo. I would even try a 25% oil with 75% blend and reapply as needed. IMO should work fine as a sealer. Of course test it out on a section first.

snowberry's avatar

All nice answers, but the OP said she wants to use recycled fryer oil.

susanc's avatar

@snowberry & @divalicious: thank you. Yes, I would like to kill 2 birds with eight 5-gallon jugs of filtered fryer oil. I think it’s corn oil. And no, I don’t want sticky, or smelly. I’ll try your ideas along with Cruiser’s.
@Cruiser: these particular decks are made of wood. But I do some work with concrete sometimes and I’ll keep this in mind for that.

lucillelucillelucille's avatar

You can also fry an egg on it in the summertime! lol!

thriftymaid's avatar

No, but you can protect it with linseed oil.

Mikelbf2000's avatar

I wouldn’t recommend it. I think you will be building a new deck soon if you do.

faye's avatar

I can see it soaking in nicely and you’ll never be able to get it out if it does stink. Try one plank off in the corner. I don’t see why it would be sticky. I used olive oil on my woodblock dishwasher top and it was great.

snowberry's avatar

I have noticed that over time, oil will get sticky, especially over time, and in the sun and heat. It gets thick, hard, and often gooey, or sticky. Best to start small, so you know what you’re getting into. Be sure to see what it does in the above conditions before you fully commit