Do you think that Scarlatti is underrated as a composer?

Asked by marinelife (58575 points ) May 14th, 2010

I have been listening to a lot of Domenico Scarlatti’s music lately, and I have come to the conclusion that he is vastly underrated as a composer. The breadth and depth of his work is amazing.

What do you think? Do you have a favorite Scarlatti piece that you care to share a link to?

loser's avatar

Maybe a little. Perhaps because there are so many greats. I love his Sonatas!

DominicX's avatar

I’ll admit that I don’t know much about Scarlatti and have not heard much of his music. But from what I have heard, it is quite impressive, so that does lead to me to believe that he is a little underrated.

My favorite piece has to be this particular Sonata in D minor for harpsichord: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71iUAFFQ8ik

@DominicX That is a great piece. I was impressed by that harpsichodist (and the harpsichord too!).

One of my favorites is Sonata in D Minor 141.

mattbrowne's avatar

He was certainly more creative than Haydn. I think Haydn is overrated. So much boring stuff, kind of 18th elevator music. But some of his work is excellent.