General Question

GD_Kimble's avatar

How can I eliminate static electricity around my house?

Asked by GD_Kimble (2267 points ) February 15th, 2007
It's out of control: on the furniture, on my clothes, in my bed, just in the air- everywhere.
Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

gailcalled's avatar
Try running humidifiers (static caused by dry air, I think). You have to clean them once a week, however, to keep bacteria out of water. Also put pans of water on radiators, or keep house plants around. Or just turn out the lights, get into bed, rub hair a little and enjoy the show.
occ's avatar
My grandfather taught me a great trick. You usually get shocked when you touch a doorknob, but if you touch it with something metal (your keys, a penny, etc) you will not get shocked. You also build up static response in your own body when you walk on carpet in socks, so wear slippers or go barefoot.
kelly's avatar
when touching something metal, touch it with your knuckle first, there is a static spark but it is not felt (as much)
synapse's avatar

Try placing a dryer sheet inside your air intake, on the underside of the filter so it won’t be sucked into the system.

Charlie's avatar

All the above but you might try wearing rubber soled slippers. Nylon,rayon, silk has a natural tend of generating electricity. Try wareing cotton. Hope this helps

lyw7219's avatar

You might have a mold problem in your house. Mold illness causes excessive static shocks in the house. Get your house tested. It can make you very ill :(

Blondinocharles's avatar

I have an electric harp with some static. I’ve used a static-free plastic sheet under it and that has helped? I’ll try the idea of going barefoot when playing. Any other suggestions?q

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther