GeorgeGee's avatar

I was doing some private experiments with the Large Hadron Collider in my spare time and accidentally created a singularity. Now it's getting bigger. What are the specific dangers of an enlarging singularity?

Asked by GeorgeGee (4898 points ) September 10th, 2010

It’s black and it kind of shimmers. I feel strangely attracted to it.

thekoukoureport's avatar

lol nahhhhh its just a hole.

nikipedia's avatar

I think if it shimmers you should be good. If I remember A Brief History of Time correctly light can’t escape a black hole.

Seek's avatar

Congratulations, you just became God. ^_^ Go write a book and demand 15% of the income of everyone that eventually evolves within your singularity.

Rarebear's avatar

Funny question. But seriously, if a singularity was really created, it would vanish almost instantly in a poof of Hawking radiation.

Ben_Dover's avatar

You should be very worried. And of course now that we know some energy is actually thrown out from a singularity, yours could indeed be shimmering.

CMaz's avatar

You would not have to worry. Because you would probably be dead.

wundayatta's avatar

I wouldn’t worry. Singularities are our friends. Once we get attracted to them, we can’t let go.

LuckyGuy's avatar

I hate it when that happens.

Quick! Put it in one of those USPS “If It Fits, It Ships” boxes and mail it to China.
Supposedly there is no shipping weight limit.

Zyx's avatar

Hey George, never seen you around. I’m the janitor over there and the same thing happened to me just a couple of days ago. You should be fine as long as you’ve lived a life without regrets.

AstroChuck's avatar

Don’t worry. Tiny singularities “evaporate” on their own.

GeorgeGee's avatar

We’re able to go public with it now, here’s an article about it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11711228

Zyx's avatar

@GeorgeGee That’s great, though calling it a mini big bang is a little misleading.

GeorgeGee's avatar

I like the term “pocket singularity” better :D

Bill1939's avatar

I’m new here, but isn’t an enlarging singularity an oxymoron? I thought a singularity was dimensionless. Perhaps it is only dimensionless on the inside, and on the outside is an event horizon. Do all singularities have gravity?

wundayatta's avatar

It’s a joke question.