General Question

jaeger's avatar

If you were adopted, how do you obtain your original birth certificate/other documents?

Asked by jaeger (164points) April 7th, 2008

I was adopted at age 6, and the process was finalized at age 8. My current birth certificate is an official document [able to be used for passport information, etc]. It was made official by a judge who stamped it with a State of Michigan seal 8 years after my birth.

The current birth certificate has my name changed to that of my current parents, and has them listed as birth parents, along with their SS#‘s etc.

I want my original information. I have seriously considered divorcing my current family. I want to find my original Puerto Rican heritage and to get my Hispanic name back – and dump this European name.

Now that you know the background, what are the departments or official bodies I should contact?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

jz1220's avatar

I was in San Francisco requesting my birth certificate a couple of months ago. On the form, it asks if you were adopted, and if so, for the names of your birth parents. I would imagine other county vital records departments would have a similar way of tracking your original birth certificate.

jaeger's avatar

What state department office were you in when getting those records?

jz1220's avatar

It was called the San Francisco Public Health office, and inside the building there’s a place to retrieve vital records like birth, marriage and death certificates.

surlygirl's avatar

@jaeger: did you find your original birth certificate?

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther