Social Question

radcliff's avatar

Can you have a B.S. degree (Bachelor of Science) and be a Mental Health Practitioner?

Asked by radcliff (253points) February 8th, 2011

Just making sure.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

11 Answers

KhiaKarma's avatar

Depends, but it would be very limited. For instance, I worked at an agency in which the crisis response team had one person who had a Bachelor’s degree and one who had their Masters. I think there are positions at psych wards as well. If you are studying psychology for your undergrad degree, it would be wise to consider furthering your education for a Masters.

Well, and I guess it would depend on where you live and local requirements….

radcliff's avatar

Could someone with a B.S. go into a home setting with out a supervisor present?

Sunny2's avatar

I think anybody can hang out a shingle that says Mental Health Practitioner. If you want to be a Marriage & Family Life practitioner, you need a BA or BS plus and MFCC diploma. If you want to be a Clinical Psychologist, you need a PhD in Clinical Psychology. A psychiatrist has to have an M.D. plus residency in adult psychiatry while a child psychiatrist requires even further training in Child Psychiatry. As KhiaKarma said, you can work as an attendant in hospitals that treat people of various ages who have psychological problems.
There are also other kinds of therapies that are not part of the main stream mental health programs. Perhaps someone else will have something to say about them. Good luck. It’s a field that is never boring!

KhiaKarma's avatar

Not sure, would need more information. Are you speaking of a particular job position or just in general? What would the person be representing themselves as? A counselor, a social worker? I am not sure about what the regulations are where you live….

radcliff's avatar

@KhiaKarma Mental Health Practitioner/Minnesota
@Sunny2 Thanks.

anartist's avatar

You can use the BS as foundation for an MD and become a psychiatrist.

BarnacleBill's avatar

Most of the ones I’ve encountered have a Master’s in counseling or are an LCSW. I’m not sure I would pay to see someone with a BS degree in counseling. Undergrad degrees are primarily general studies in a major; you would not get enough specialized counseling training to be effective.

SmashTheState's avatar

You don’t mention where you live, but here in Kanada there is no official accreditation for “counsellor.” Any person can hang out a shingle and call themselves a “counsellor” with any or no training. In fact, I know someone who was studying psychology and was told (with the rest of his class) by his professor that the professor would give a written recommendation and referrals to any student who wished to drop out and become a “counsellor” since demand for any kind of counselling far outstrips the availability. It’s not unusual for people to be on waiting lists for two years or more for counselling.

Jude's avatar

@SmashTheState What’s up with the “K” for Canada?

KhiaKarma's avatar

Maybe this will help. Scroll down to Mental Health Practicioner definition. It seems that the difference lies in the word practitioner rather than professional.

Now if they are saying that they are a Licensed Private Counselor (LPC), clinical psychologist, or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) they would need at least a Master’s degree.

perspicacious's avatar

No. You can work with one.

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther