General Question

makemo's avatar

What's the appropriate term for words, made up of a mix between two or more words?

Asked by makemo (531points) April 15th, 2008

What is the term for when you mix 2 or more words together, making a new, fictitious word? For example; newtopia, desktastic (bad examples, I know, but you get the idea).

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

9 Answers

nikipedia's avatar


wildflower's avatar

BS or buzzwords

soundedfury's avatar

Nik is correct.

jz1220's avatar


jaeger's avatar

Portmanteau is the correct answer!

Neologism is the creation of a new word.

soundedfury's avatar

Er…, yeah, I was wrong. Damnit. My linguistic profs are rolling in their graves.

tupara's avatar

Useless fact for the day : the name ‘portmanteau’, used to describe these new words, was invented by Lewis Carrol in his book ‘Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There’. Humpty Dumpty uses it when describing words like ‘Slithy’ in the Jabberwocky poem.

nlaeditor's avatar

Portmanteau is correct.

Zen's avatar

You are all so flutherful!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther