General Question

taulpaul15's avatar

How can i register my car i have a loan on to my sister out of state?

Asked by taulpaul15 (2points) March 18th, 2011

I am a MA resident, but will be moving to NH in a couple weeks. Where I am moving I will be car pooling and wont need my car. My sister, however, is currently without a car and wants to borrow mine. My problem is I currently have a loan out on the car. I know I cant have a registered NH car in a MA driveway, so how would I go about handling this? I cant seem to get a straight answer out of the RMV or insurance co.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

WestRiverrat's avatar

Talk to the loan officer handling your account. They may let your sister register it in MA as long as you keep making the payments.

Jeruba's avatar

Why can’t you have a registered NH car in a MA driveway?

taulpaul15's avatar

thanks for the responses, ill have to try that.

@Jeruba a neighbor can report it and I could get fined. In MA you have to pay a yearly excise tax while in NH you dont.

WasCy's avatar

Have your sister register the car (your name stays on the title and loan documents) and buy her own insurance. That’s the simplest way to handle it, and it happens all the time.

If you’re concerned that she won’t do that properly or you want to be extra-sure that you’re covered as much as you need to be, then you register the car in her name and buy the insurance yourself. You’ll need to be clear to the insurer (the only ones likely to have any legitimate concerns) about who will be the primary driver, where the car will be parked or garaged each night, and the expected daily use.

The lender shouldn’t have a thing to say about who gets to use the car, but the insurer might, if your sister has a bad record, is underage, lives in a high-crime area, etc. But someone will insure the car. Just be sure not to lie on the application, because if you try to ‘shade’ something and a loss occurs, that ‘shading’ could nullify the coverage.

Not a big deal at all.

PS: Welcome to Fluther.

PPS: No one outside of Massachusetts calls it the “Registry” of Motor Vehicles. (At least I’m pretty sure about that. After I left Massachusetts myself, where I grew up, and talked about “the Registry” from time to time and got blank looks, I realized that everywhere else in the country it’s DMV for “Department”.) Just FYI.

taulpaul15's avatar

Haha, ya I know. Mass just has to be different. Thanks for the advice and welcome

Jeruba's avatar

@taulpaul15, that does not make sense to me. It’s like saying that no one from out of state can visit anyone in Massachusetts and park their car in their host’s driveway. It is not illegal to drive an out-of-state car in Mass. For one thing, Mass. colleges attract students from all over the country, and they do not all go get Mass. registrations.

I know Mass. has some odd laws—I grew up there—but I think you might want to look into the pertinent law here and see if your understanding of it is accurate. Perhaps it’s something more like “a car with a NH plate can’t be registered to a Mass. address” than “can’t be parked in the driveway.”

WasCy's avatar

He’s probably not far wrong, @Jeruba. When I used to work in northern Florida the police would routinely cruise the parking areas of construction jobsites and cite workers’ cars there with out-of-state registrations. Apparently (at the time, anyway; maybe this has been somewhat relaxed) the presumption was that if you were working in Florida Monday through Friday, then you were a “resident” of Florida no matter where you went on your time off, and therefore you owed Florida for your registration.

I don’t know of anyone who fought those tickets and won.

So, you’re right that visitors can also stay hospitably for indefinite periods in the Commonwealth, but if the neighbors get wind of one of their own living and driving there – using a car with out-of-state registration – then she’d be reported as a scofflaw. (Most of the people doing that are also insuring their cars at out-of-state addresses, too, and paying a too-low insurance premium for the place where they really are.) It may be that those college kids register more cars than you’d expect to the Commonwealth, too.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther