General Question

tania's avatar

Would the insurance company pay for the damage on my car?

Asked by tania (7points) April 2nd, 2011

My husband and I own a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee .It is in both our names and we are both insured under our insurance company.My husband is the primary holder. As I was getting out of the garage in our building (the ones that you turn in circles from one floor to another), I was making a turn and hit into the wall on my right.Both right doors are badly damaged. Would my insurance company pay for the damage?Even if it was in the garage? I know most likely I would have to pay the deductible and my insurance rate will go up ,but will the insurance pick up what I have to pay to fix it?It will cost at least 2000$.
The issue is that my drivers license is only 4 years old so I am concerned that if I am considered an inexperienced operator, will they still pay?Our insurance is already high to begin with and am very concerned since i cannot afford to pay over 2000$ right now.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

10 Answers

faye's avatar

I would pay for it myself. My deductible is $1000. Doesn’t pay to involve insurance companies in Alberta unless your vehicle is damn near done for. My insurance isn’t even on my car anymore for me doing something. It’s for me hitting the other guy.

funkdaddy's avatar

If you have full coverage then they should pay for the damage regardless of whether you caused it or not (I believe if it’s intentional, that’s a bit different, but this wasn’t)...

So a lot would depend on your deductible and how badly you want to get it fixed. In my experience, my premiums have not gone up a lot when I’ve made a claim, but everyone is different there I suppose. I live in the US, in Texas and our insurance isn’t especially expensive here.

Most insurance companies will have a network of shops they work with and will just refer you to a body shop to fix the damage, some shops even pay your deductible, so check out a few. The insurance company may even pay for a rental while your vehicle is in the shop.

Overall, it can’t hurt to call your insurance company and ask them specifically what’s covered in your policy.

WasCy's avatar

As @funkdaddy says, it depends on your coverage. If you have “liability only”, which is the minimum coverage that many states require, then that won’t pay for damage to your vehicle. But if you’re sued by the garage owner for damage you did to his wall, it will pay that claim to the garage owner, because you’re liable for that.

“Comprehensive” insurance pays for non-collision damage, for things such as vandalism, storm damage, theft and other loss events having nothing to do with driving the vehicle.

If you have “collision” insurance, then that’s exactly what you need for this loss event. Look at your policy.

tania's avatar

Thank you for your responses.I actually live in Massachusetts and have state insurance. I have collision insurance with a deductible of 500$,but do not have limited collision. I am kind of afraid of calling my insurance and stating my case then they inform me that they don’t cover my problem and still increase my monthly payments or put the accident in my records.Is that even possible?
The damage on the garage wall is nothing for them to sue me for .Would they come and inspect where in the garage it was hit?
thanks again

tania's avatar

And with me being the occasional driver,will they still pay the claim?

funkdaddy's avatar

I don’t believe it would affect your future rates unless it either goes on your driving record (I believe there’s a minimum amount of damage you would have to do to something else for this to go on your record) or they pay a claim.

Unfortunately we’re just guessing at this point, policies vary quite a bit and I have no idea how state issued policies would differ from those issued by a private company. It’s probably best just to give them a call. Auto insurance is a competitive market and there’s no reason for them to raise your rates simply for asking what’s covered by your policy.

You pay each month so it’s there when you need it, if this is that time, call them and get the information you need to make an informed decision.

tranquilsea's avatar

If you don’t have collision coverage they won’t cover you. Collision coverage covers you for the damage you do to your own vehicle. If the damage is going to be about $2000 it would be in your interest to pay for it yourself even if you did have collision insurance.

dabbler's avatar

if you have collision insurance that’s what it’s for but i suggest have a friendly chat with your agent to discuss the likelihood of rate increase and probable size of increase if you make a claim the size you expect. Those companies all have distinct policies and some allow a bit of agent discretion in how a claim will play out over time. So don’t be shy about making a claim, it’s valid, if the likely rates impact is negligible.

tranquilsea's avatar

The other thing to consider is the off chance that you may have another claim in the next year. It doesn’t happen often but it does happen: an insured makes a $1500 claim and six months later has to make another $2000 claim. Insurance companies would definitely jack your deductible up and your premium. Some insurance companies will even politely refuse to renew your insurance. That then pushes you into a high risk category and you definitely don’t want to be there.

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther