General Question

AshlynM's avatar

Questions about my income taxes?

Asked by AshlynM (10190points) April 12th, 2011

So my tax preparer just sent me a copy of my federal and state returns. I have 2 sets of papers, they are both the same, however…one is in a blue folder marked client copy and another set is stapled together with a note saying where I need to sign them.

He also provided a stamped, addressed envelope to the department of revenue for Indiana.

I have the e signature authorization form 8879, which I already signed and sent back to the guy who did my taxes.

I believed my tax guy efiled for me so I do I really need to sign the papers he sent me as well and send them to the stamped, addressed envelope he provided? My returns are for Indiana.

I’m a little confused. If he efiled, why would I need to sign my taxes and send to DOR in IN?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

math_nerd's avatar

With all the government shutdown talk last week maybe they were worried (some government sites were going to be closed) that it might not get processed with e-file.

I would just spend the two minutes to call and ask in the morning.

lazybeets's avatar

Some states require an 8453-OL to submit to them if you’ve e-filed. If this was one of the forms your tax preparer provided you with, it’s wise to mail it to the state agency. If you owe a payment to the state agency, you’ll have to mail a voucher and your payment to the address listed on the voucher.

YARNLADY's avatar

If you have the phone number of your tax guy, call him and ask.

marinelife's avatar

Call him and ask him.

JLeslie's avatar

You only have to send paperwork to the fed if you owe them money if you already efiled,

Each state is different so I have no idea about your state. I agree call your accountant.

perspicacious's avatar

You need to talk to your tax preparer.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther