General Question

mowens's avatar

Is there another name for an Orchard Gun?

Asked by mowens (8350points) April 20th, 2011

My dad had something he called an “Orchard Gun.” We used it to scare away birds and such. Is there another name for this?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

9 Answers

WestRiverrat's avatar

They call them propane guns around here.

mowens's avatar

I dont think it used gas of any kind. It looked like gun powder, I can remember loading it. It also had ammunition called “screamers” which sounded like the screaming bottle rockets on steroids. Thoughts?

YARNLADY's avatar

I thought you meant a potato gun, which is like a small cannon that shoots potatoes or apples.

mowens's avatar

No this thing was actually about the size of a handgun, and resembled one as well. Thoughts?

WestRiverrat's avatar

They also make ammunition for shotguns that is designed to scare wildlife, particularly birds, without harming them.

bkcunningham's avatar

It’s a shotgun with bird pellets. (Edited) Bird shot. Very scattered and small shots or bb type projectiles.

syz's avatar

According to this, it’s special ammunition [Bird bangers (Bird BombsĀ®), screamer sirens (racket bombs), and whistle cartridges] used with a .22 or a flare gun.

More options

mowens's avatar

@crisw That is too big. But it looks like it had a similar function.
@bkcunningham it definitally wasnt a shotgun.. thats too big.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther