General Question

kelly's avatar

What is the origin of the accents in American English speakers?

Asked by kelly (1908points) June 3rd, 2007
such as the southern drawl, boston twang, the california sing-song.
Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

1 Answer

MENSAN's avatar

A manner of speaking for a specific country is called an ACCENT, such as a British Accent, or a an Italian Accent. Within a specific country, there are regional DIALECTS, “such as the Southern drawl, Boston twang, [and] the California sing-song,” that you mention.

One’s accent is usually learned by the people surrounding a person when the person is in his/her formative years, such as a toddler who is just learning to speak, and s/he literally mimics or imitates whatever accent and/or dialect s/he hears.

This would explain why the late bandleader, Lawrence Welk, had a distinct German accent. He was born in Strasburg, North Dakota (USA) in 1903, but the community into which he was born was an exclusive German settlement, and the residents there spoke German, exclusively. Therefore, as he noted in his autobiography, “I didn’t learn English, until I was 21 years old.” Please note that some sources refute that, but I’m quoting him from his own writings.


Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther