General Question

Lothloriengaladriel's avatar

Is there a way to become certified to give vaccinations without college?

Asked by Lothloriengaladriel (1550points) May 25th, 2011 from iPhone

I’m in school for something else medical related but will not learn to give vaccinations, I am wondering if there is a course or certification program available to become certified to give vaccinations?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

rts486's avatar

When I was in the Marines, the Navy corpsmen gave us the vaccinations. They didn’t have to go to college for that, but they did have some training.

WestRiverrat's avatar

EMT-I Training will allow you to start IVs and administer some medications. The level of training varies by state. The next step up is to get Paramedic training, which is usually available at community college as an associate degree.

Seaofclouds's avatar

It really depends on the state you live in and where you work. I’ve lived in states that allow Medical Assistants to give shots once the doctor they work for says it’s okay. Usually those doctors have a training program set up for the MAs and have a way of testing them. Once they are approved for giving shots, they do so under the doctor’s malpractice insurance. Also, there are limits to who they can give shots to and which shots they can give (depending on the state and doctor’s office).

So basically, it would be on the job training. What are you going to school for?

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther