General Question

MuffinMonarch's avatar

How can I teach English in Spain?

Asked by MuffinMonarch (148points) July 7th, 2011

I am interested in teaching English abroad. I have a 4yr degree in Finance and am planning to get a 120hr TEFL certificate.

I know Japan and Korea are big on it and pay well. Thailand, China, Czech Rep, and Russia are options but don’t pay as well as the others.

I would really like to teach in Spain, my great-grandfather is Spanish and spending some time there might qualify me to be a citizen.

I’m a U.S. citizen, do I have a shot against the Euros? Where can I find info on teaching English abroad?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

14 Answers

longtresses's avatar

Wow.. I just answered a similar question a minute ago! Mainly I was telling the OP that TESOL shouldn’t be taken via online correspondence.

I really don’t know about Spain, but, yes, teaching English in Thailand the pay is modest, though you have the opportunities to travel around. My TESOL peers loved the experience, though the training was exhausting while it last.

TESOL course in Thailand is known to be one of the most cost effective amongst other countries. If you don’t mind staying for a month, you could save quite a bit of $$. Good luck.

MuffinMonarch's avatar

What is the website for the program in Thailand? Also, how much money would I need to live there while I go through the process (living expenses, rent, party, etc).

Also, do you know of people being able to teach in Thailand without a four year degree?

Response moderated (Writing Standards)
Porifera's avatar

You can also train for preparing people for TOEFL or GMAT for which you can charge more than regular English lessons because it is ESP. A lot of places accept peopl w/o a 4yr degree but require CELTA or something like that.

I know that places like UAE & Kwait pay very well and they provide boarding and other benefits for teachers. I know I had a link somewhere, I will post it if I find it.

I’d say check Google for private schools and colleges, open a Blog or Website you can link to other sites.

longtresses's avatar

This website should answer many questions that you have.. Here’s more, and here, here..

If you want to teach in reputable institutions, like college or specialized institutions, most of the time they ask for 4-year degree. Otherwise, if you’re teaching in private tutoring schools, weekend language centers, even public schools, they’re not going to care so much, as long as you’re qualified/are a good teacher.

Here’s TESOL in Thailand.

the100thmonkey's avatar

You might find that the difficulty for you lies in obtaining a work visa for the EU as an American citizen.

I guess there might be a purely Spanish visa option for Americans of Spanish descent; that would be something to take up with Google or your local Spanish consulate.

Porifera's avatar

American citizens can stay in most countries of the EU for 90 days w/o a visa. As third generation Spaniard he is entitled to some rights and privileges that will allow him to get proper documentation outside of the 90-day period and eventually become a citizen should he decide to stay.

If he teaches private students, he can do so w/o a working permit, but if he wants to work at a school, college, etc., he will definitely need one.

I think he meets all the criteria to work there as a TESOL because he already has an undergraduate degree plus the TEFL certificate.

the100thmonkey's avatar

@Porifera – yes, they can stay on a 90 day tourist visa. A work visa is something else entirely. Are you seriously recommending @MuffinMonarch work illegaly in Spain?

If @MuffinMonarch can get an appropriate visa before they leave, that would probably be the simplest way of doing things.

Porifera's avatar

@the100thmonkey I am not seriously recommending anything. Please don’t put words in my mouth. You are twisting my comment according to your way of thinking. The word illegal never crossed my mind. One can only wonder why it crossed yours.

Some Americans, Australians, and British do that in my country. They come here for a few months, teach English to private students or exchange English for Spanish, get a little bit of money, get to know the locals and leave. I wouldn’t call that working. As I said before, should they decide to stay and get a job, then they’d have to go trough the process of getting proper documentation.

Porifera's avatar

@the100thmonkey …they can stay on a 90 day tourist visa. Just for the record, Americans do not need a tourist visa They don’t need a visa period.

American Citizens do not need a visa when they travel to Spain for business or for personal travel. The stay in the Schengen area should not exceed 90 days in a 6 month period.

the100thmonkey's avatar


Right then, so you’re stating that one can teach illegally, but one doesn’t have to, while at the same time splitting hairs over what constitutes a visa.

Your perspective is clear. You don’t say much, but you say it with… yeah…

Porifera's avatar

@the100thmonkey I don’t want to engage in a battle of wits with you. Drop the tone and attitute, really, not necessary. I pass, thank you.

I was not trying to be confrontational, I just stating these facts:

1. I wasn’t recommending anything—let alone an illegal activity.
2. I said 90 days w/o a visa you said …90 day tourist visa. A work visa… I can’t stand corrected when I was right in the first place [Americans] don’t need a visa period and provided link & quote. If you check thelink I provided, you can see I was right and you were wrong. I always check on the accuracy of the info before I post anything since I don’t want to mislead anyone.

I actually think we are linguist colleagues, are we not?

Response moderated (Spam)
the100thmonkey's avatar

We are colleagues if you’re an English teacher.

I was suggesting that teaching – indeed any work in the Schengen Area – is not covered under the visa for US nationals – “U.S. citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa.”. I would not recommend that the OP enter Spain as a tourist and answer the immigration officer with “I’m looking to find a job” when asked for the purpose of the visit.

Fair enough, you don’t need a visa per se inasmuch as you don’t need to apply for one and get the stamp/sticker in your passport prior to arrival. However, if the OP is intending to find a job in Spain and stay, they need a visa.

The OP might also find it difficult changing their entry status within the country having entered on a tourist visa. That’s certainly the case in the UK. The question is is intent on arrival. That would be something the OP should check with their local consulate, given that they intend to spend some time in Spain with a view to becoming a Spanish citizen.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther