General Question

give_seek's avatar

What is the historical term for a person who writes letters for someone who is illiterate?

Asked by give_seek (683points) July 14th, 2011

I remember seeing this term once. It wasn’t scribe, letter writer, dictator, translator, ghost writer, secretary, assistant or anything that sounds relatively modern.

This term came up during research I was doing on the 18th & 19th centuries.


Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

thorninmud's avatar

Are you thinking of scrivener ?

marinelife's avatar


Response moderated (Unhelpful)
give_seek's avatar

Thanks everyone.

@thorninmud Thank you for scrivener. That’s what it was!

Schroedes13's avatar

That guy who’s really nice and helps the blind citizens? lol…I thought it was a scribe too. Guess you learn something new everyday!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther