General Question

JilltheTooth's avatar

Handy Jellies, can you help me fix this?

Asked by JilltheTooth (19787points) August 7th, 2011

There is a hairline crack in the tank of a toilet in my house that is slow-leaking. Can anyone recommend a product that I can use to repair it? It would only be a temporary solution, for a few months. Is there a sort of rubber seal type thing that will work? I have discovered, that in spite of all the hype, duct tape does not cure everything. Damn

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

18 Answers

cockswain's avatar

Sure. First drain all water above the crack, and use a bunch of caulk or any of the various epoxy resins you can find at a hardware or auto repair store. Let it cure completely before refilling the tank.

rebbel's avatar

You could try to use sanitair silicon sealant.
But like @cockswain stated, drain the tank before you apply it, because it needs a dry surface.

JilltheTooth's avatar

Thanks, folks. I know how to do the repair, I was kind of hoping someone had a brand name. I’ll ask my hardware store guys about epoxy resins.
@sakura : Thanks for the suggestion, but teflon tape really only works as a thread sealer. I have a couple extra rolls if anybody needs some! :-)

thorninmud's avatar

Some of the epoxy plumber’s putties can even be used on wet or submerged surfaces. They will cure under water.

cockswain's avatar

Brand doesn’t really matter, you’ve got dozens of options that will solve the problem. But if you insist, use DAP silcone caulk (white), or J&B Weld epoxy resin.

Lightlyseared's avatar

Araldite epoxy resin or if the crack gets wider Araldite putty. Just make sure you mix the stuff well before use or it won’t cure.

Russell_D_SpacePoet's avatar

Aquarium grade silicone. Drain the toilet first. Let the silicone dry and it will last indefinitely.

Cruiser's avatar

I can send you all you need but if it is an immediate need look for a plumbers putty type epoxy repair stick.

XOIIO's avatar

put a strip of Gorilla tape over it after drying the area off with a rag, that stuff will probably lst longer than the toilet XD

JilltheTooth's avatar

@XOIIO : Under water? I want to do an inside fix, as pressure, although minimal at first, will spread the crack a bit. (I’ve had to deal with this before, only at that time I replaced instead of repaired.)

XOIIO's avatar

@JilltheTooth on the outside of the tank is what I mean, and i will definitly work best until you do a real fix, although I’d probably just leave it.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

Drain the tank, the valve is at the bottom of the intake line. Dry the tank and use a good silicone caulk on the inside.

sakura's avatar

Oops I thought it may work if you layered it over? Never mind…good luck and I hope you find a solution

incendiary_dan's avatar

If you use caulk, get the ones labeled for bathroom use. And get silicon.

SpatzieLover's avatar

I’ll come over & help you replace the toilet…If I lived closer, I really would ;)

JilltheTooth's avatar

Thanks, @SpatzieLover , it is easier with two!

JilltheTooth's avatar

All better, all fixed, no more water where it shouldn’t be, thanks all!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther