General Question

sunyata_rakshasa's avatar

Is there a word from when someone uses a noun as a verb?

Asked by sunyata_rakshasa (350points) August 16th, 2011

Just curious if there is a term for this.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

Unclepepsi's avatar

Never heard a word to describe people using it that way, but the action of doing so is called, and I love this, Verbing the Noun.

LostInParadise's avatar

What about a term for word that are self-descriptive? In addition to verbing, other examples would be noun, word and multisyllabic.

picante's avatar

I’ll make up a word for that action—gerundizing. A gerund is the noun form of a verb, and it seems to be popular to make gerunds of any damn verb these days. Happy Fluthering!

morphail's avatar

Functional shift. In English, it’s also called zero derivation.

fremen_warrior's avatar

Verbalization, as opposed to Nominalization (turning verbs into nouns, e.g. the [act of] walking)

Mariah's avatar

@Fyrius I love how the word “verbing” is an example of verbing. That’s awesome.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther