General Question

mrrich724's avatar

What is the name of this instrument?

Asked by mrrich724 (8537points) August 17th, 2011

I was just watching storage wars. This dude found a 70’s instrument in one of the lockers. It was used for sound effects.

It was a metal plate, with a pipe standing in the middle of it. and along the edges, some metal bars (of different heights) were surrounding the edge of the plate (going in the same direction of the big pipe).

When you drag a bow across the little bars, the pipe omits “sound effects” to the effect of “scary” Like when something bad is going to happen. If you fill the pipe with water, the sounds are changed.

What’s the name of it!?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

gavdawg262cv's avatar

It kind of sounds like you’re describing an aquaphone ( It goes by a whole bunch of different names, but I think they’re all the same instrument.

WestRiverrat's avatar you can probably find the episode here. I think the dealer at the end tells you what it is called.

jrpowell's avatar

Here is the episode and a picture. I don’t really want to watch the episode to find out the name.

edit :: I watched.. Waterphone..

mrrich724's avatar

Theremin is cool too, but it’s the AQUAPHONE!!!

Thanks and GA @gavdawg262cv

jeremyh's avatar

Definitely Aquaphone

forestgump's avatar

Indeed an aquaphone

ETpro's avatar

As a chambered nautilus, I had to give you this link.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther