General Question

nikipedia's avatar

Can I "sell" my student loans to another company?

Asked by nikipedia (27526points) May 13th, 2008

I recently learned that my usurious private student loan lender expects me to continue making payments that I will not be able to afford on my graduate student fellowship when I go back to school in the fall. (This is after a cute bait and switch by my department letting me know that I’m not allowed to work while in school.)

So I am backed pretty tightly into a corner here. What I would optimally like to do is consolidate all my loans under a lender that will permit me to defer payments until after I finish my PhD. Is this possible? If so, can you recommend a lender?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

1 Answer

breanne's avatar

I’m actually sort of in the same position. From what I’ve been able to tell, there aren’t many, if any loan companies that will consolidate all your loans and put off repayment. You may have to take out another graduate loan and pay off your existing loan with that money in order to defer until graduation. Your other alternative is to tell the bank (or probably AES) that you’re unable to pay while you’re in school, so they might allow you an in-school deferment. This will allow interest to capitalize, but you won’t have to pay now. Try searching for specialty loans on a website like My Rich Uncle I’ve had good luck with them because I’m a weird case of an American getting a PhD in a foreign country, so hardly any US lenders wanted to deal with me… other than Sallie Mae (but they’re super corrupt).

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther