General Question

JSpeer's avatar

What type of permits do I need to run a business out of a truck or trailer?

Asked by JSpeer (362points) March 16th, 2012 from iPhone

I had an idea to start a small business and run it out of a trailer hitched to a truck. It would be something along the lines of a game, where you would enter the trailer and do the event inside. It would be something I could drive around and park in various places (similar to a food truck). What type of permits or legal things would I have to put in place to do that? Or where can I find out more about that type of thing?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

Tropical_Willie's avatar

If it even “smells” like gambling you will be busted anywhere around my state. But if not then each muncipality has their own requirements for “transient” vendors.

JSpeer's avatar

It wouldn’t be anything like that. I wanted to open a place where you can go and safely brake things to relieve stress (that’s the simplified version lol). But I figured it would be cheaper and more doable if I got a trailer that I could easily relocate instead of getting an actual building and paying rent. This would be a start to see the response to the idea. I am also looking into the legal issues relevant to I injury.

Seaofclouds's avatar

Which permits you will need will vary from state to state and city to city. You’ll need to get in touch with someone in your state/city to discuss which one you would need (if any at all). I’m not sure who you would contact in each area. In NYC, it would be the Department of Consumer Affairs. If your area has a Department of Consumer Affairs, you could start with them and go from there. Good luck!

JSpeer's avatar

Thanks alot! I actually live In Nj and am looking to move to NYC, so I’ll keep that in mind.

YARNLADY's avatar

Every municipal government has it’s own set of regulations.

ETpro's avatar

Hey, welcome to Fluther. I love having fellow entrepreneurs here.

I live in Boston and run a small business here. Fortunately, my place is just a short walk away from City Hall, so when I wanted to get started up, I went down there, asked the guard at the front door where to go for business licenses, and started there. They directed me through the (fortunately brief) maze of people I needed to talk to and things I needed to do. Start with your own city or town government. They should be able to tell you how to set up a “transient vendor” operation in the jurisdictions you plan to visit.

Good luck with it. After today, I’d pay to break things. :-)

JSpeer's avatar

haha thanks alot, appreciate it! Maybe my next question on Fluther will be – “How many people would pay to smash things?” lol

ETpro's avatar

@JSpeer Indeed. One thing that would be a vital part of the business plan is how much woulg you have to pay for these smashable objects, and how would you warehouse them so you could easily restock the smash zone. Seems like a perfect job for Goodwill Hunting.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther