General Question

Trillian's avatar

What is that thing called?

Asked by Trillian (21116points) April 25th, 2012

One puts it to one’s eye and looks at a gem with it.
I also would like to know how one learns exactly what to look for. How would one tell a fake from a real diamond, even if had one of those… things.
I’m fascinated by stones, and only wish I could learn to cut them myself. I feel like this is a guild of some sort.
Any information at all would probably only serve to further whet my interest.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

Jeruba's avatar

Jeweler’s loupe.

bewailknot's avatar

This is a site that has some information.

marinelife's avatar

This article describes how diamonds are graded by color, cut, clarity, and carat weight.

silky1's avatar

It’s called a jewelers loupe.

Jeruba's avatar

Just in case you were unable to read the first response above, I suppose.

Neizvestnaya's avatar

You can study many facets of gemology online and via mail with GIA. To get your certifications, you’ll have to travel to a campus to test but most everything else can be done by mail or on your own. It’s fascinating.

My ex husband and I studied with GIA and got our credentials through them, it was a blast!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther