General Question

Taz0007's avatar

How can I go about looking for work experience within the NHS?

Asked by Taz0007 (145points) July 5th, 2012

I’m an undergraduate in the UK looking to start a career in healthcare, although I’m not sure what aspect yet. I’ve undertaken some work experience with Paramedics but would like to also shadow nurses in various departments in a hospital. I would love any advise on how to go about getting my foot in the door with this as I’ve tried emailing and calling local hospitals but I don’t seem to be getting anywhere with that; I also feel like I’m hassling busy people! I’ve set up a linked in and am currently trying that out to see if any insiders can lend a hand. Other options welcome! Thanks!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

Pied_Pfeffer's avatar

Have you looked at and registered on the NHS Jobs website? If not, that is where I would start.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how the job hunt is coming along!

snowberry's avatar

Perhaps you could shadow a nurse or maybe even volunteer in a nursing home instead. The atmosphere there would be more laid back. I don’t know about the UK, but in the US, some places perfer to have volunteers associated with a volunteer organization, rather than just walk in.

Lightlyseared's avatar

Every hospital I have worked in has accepted people on work experience in almost every department from school children in the offices to those just about to start a medical degree shadowing a consultant so the oportunities are there but the trick is to know exactly who to contact. The best way I think is to look at the website of the NHS hospitals close to where you live and they should be able to provide details of who to contact for placements and work experience. So for example if you wanted to go to King’s College Hospital (home of 24 Hours in A&E) you would email the Assistant Director of Nursing. Here is the details for Guy’s and St Thomas’.

Let me know where you are studying (PM me if you want) and I’ll have a look and see if I can find who to contact at your local hospital.

Taz0007's avatar

Wow, thank you lightlyseared! I’m studying in Bristol, although to take on work experience in King’s would be amazing if their ED is anything to go by! I’ve been doing a bit of reading into how the NHS works as I thinkmy problem is I just don’t know who to try and find to contact. Thanks so much :)

Lightlyseared's avatar

In Bristol there are two acute (ie hospital) NHS Trusts University Hospitals Bristol Trust The contact person is Jane Stiddard, Schools Liaison Assistant on 0117 34 25000 or email
And North Bristol Hospitals Their email address is

If you are studying at Bristol Univesity then I would try UHB first (as thats where Bristol uni sends most of its students) while if you are studying at UWE then try North Bristol first.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther